Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Delayed Reaction: Prey

Premise: A Predator lands in the 18th Century Comanche Nations and wreaks havoc.


Can I just say this movie is cool and be done with this?

 

I’m not the best person to talk about the representation aspects of the movie. I’ll just say it’s good. I’m bummed this didn’t get a theatrical release, but I’ve accepted that streamers are just going to start getting more movies that belonged in theaters. What I do know is that I’ve liked Amber Midthunder since she popped up in Legion as a badass twin. At the time, I thought it was meant as a fun contrast to make this skinny 20-year-old an enforcer character*. It turns out, that’s just who she is. Now 25, I’m hoping Midthunder gets to be an action movie star as much as she wants. Apparently, her father is a stunt actor (as well as casting director for Reservation Dogs), and that makes a lot of sense. Midthunder has great physicality. In this movie about her trying to get taken seriously by the men in her tribe, I never got the feeling that she was outmatched or being edited to seem implausibly formidable. She is what will either make or break this movie for you and, frankly, I can’t see anyone being unimpressed by her.

 

*I’m avoiding using words like “funny” or “joke” for fear that they will sound wrong. As Kerry in Legion, I always took her character seriously, but I imagine she was cast to play on an audience’s expectations.

 

The movie overall is about what you’d expect. A Predator (The Predator? I’m never sure how to phrase it) shows up on Earth. It starts killing the warriors in Midthunder’s tribe and eventually some French settlers before going head-to-head with Midthunder, who has to use her ingenuity to defeat it. The fun of this installment in the uneven Predator franchise is the period setting. There aren’t that many Native American action movies. The setting and technological limitations make the threat more daunting despite being the same as in the original movie.

 

What do you want me to say? It’s a well-made Predator movie with a star making lead performance.

 

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment