Monday, October 3, 2022

Delayed Reaction: As You Like It

[Note: This is part of a project I'm calling "A Century in a Month". The idea is that I'm going to start with a movie from about 100 years ago and pick a series of connected films until I get to the present. The rules I set this time are release years, per IMDB, can't be more than 5 years apart. I can't repeat the same connection although I can reuse the same type of connection. That means if I use "movies directed by Scorsese" to connect two, I can't use Scorsese as a connection again but I can use a director as a linking element again. I'm not really sure why I'm doing this, but it seems like a fun game.]

Connection to Texas Rangers: Both star Alfred Molina

 

Premise: The Shakespeare play As You Like It but transplanted to 19th century Japan.

 


By now, I think I’ve made my stance pretty clear about Shakespeare adaptations. Basically, I’m tired of films trying to strike a balance. Either use the story and release yourself from the shackles of the dialogue or embrace the fact that we are watching a play. I appreciated what the 1944 Henry V does, literally starting as a stage production so we can appreciate it as an audience in his time would’ve. It then drifts into something more cinematic. It fully embraces the theatricality. What I struggle with are the adaptations where they try to bring life to Shakespeare’s language in a real-world setting. The characters are speaking in verse. I’m sorry. By design that’s not supposed to sound natural. I find it tedious.

 

I do appreciate that As You Like It moved the setting of the film. That late 19th century period in Japan when it rapidly tried to embrace the modern world looks cool and isn’t explored enough in film. I liked the epilogue, where Bryce Dallas Howard addresses the camera directly from the film set. I would’ve appreciated more of that throughout the film. As long as everyone is speaking the Shakespeare language, the audience isn’t going to forget that this is a play in the same way that while characters sing an audience won’t forget something is a musical. So, embrace that this is a play with a budget that a play would never get. Be a Romeo + Juliet.

 

All that said, I suppose if someone is going to do another Shakespeare film, Kenneth Branagh has the credentials. While I don’t understand the decision to avoid casting many Asian actors, the actors they did get provided a good variety. Bryce Dallas Howard, Kevin Kline, Janet McTeer, Alfred Molina, and David Oyelowo all carry themselves like they’ve done Shakespeare productions before. The movie does look pretty. In a world where I wasn’t so tired of Shakespeare adaptations, this would be ok.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment