Monday, July 4, 2022

Quick Reaction: Vampyr


I’ll be posting more of these Quick Reactions for a little while because, frankly, I watched a bunch of movies that didn’t stick out in a row. Vampyr is ok, but it suffers around the vampire offerings before and concurrent with its release. Nosferatu several years earlier has the much scarier visuals. Dracula, which was released around the time Vampyr is much more polished and has a more iconic lead performance. Meanwhile, I guess full cuts of Vampyr no longer exist and they’ve stitched the current one together from the versions recorded in English, German, and French. I get why this didn’t do well at the time with those as the comparison. It is wild that this did badly enough that director Carl Theodor Dreyer eventually had a mental breakdown. I mean, it’s not that bad. It’s just a watered-down Dracula. I’m curious what a pristine and complete version would look like. It seems like it was a victim of that nightmare period when everyone was trying to make talkies but hadn’t quite perfected the technology. This must’ve been a nightmare to make.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment