Saturday, July 23, 2022

Delayed Reaction: Borrego

Premise: A botanist working in the desert is kidnapped by a drug mule after a crash landing.

 


Sometimes you’re drunk, it’s late, and Netflix informs you of a new Lucy Hale movie. I’ll keep this pretty short for a few reasons. 1) I was drunk and pretty tired when I watched it. 2) The movie itself is pretty simple. 3) It’s a movie that was dropped more so than released.

 

It’s the debut feature of this writer/director. I wouldn’t say it exceeded my expectations, but it certainly met them. This is a reasonably entertaining crime thriller. The Southwest, with the wide expanses and isolation, is great for something like this. The main draw for me was Lucy Hale. Yes, it’s mostly because she’s pretty. She’s also interesting enough on screen and I think she’s good in this new kind of performance for her.

 

It’s a small detail, but I appreciated that they didn’t subtitle the Spanish. I could figure out the basics of what they were saying from the performance, and I like the disorientation that no subtitles creates. Then again, maybe the filmmaker was just shaming the audience for not knowing Spanish. Either way, I liked the decision.

 

The other day, I looked at movies I’ve seen in the last 5 years based on distribution studio. It turns out that I’d seen about twice as many Netflix movies as the 2nd place studio. That was surprising, because I remember so few of them. I certainly didn’t love many of them. When I looked at the list of films, it was a lot of disposable titles. Good to fill 90 minutes and not very tedious but little else. In that respect, Borrego fits right in. I didn’t love it but it wasn’t time wasted either.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment