Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Delayed Reaction: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Premise: Something something cavalry troops something something fighting Cheyenne something something John Wayne.

 


It’s nice to know there is a limit for me with Westerns. I was concerned that my AARP membership was in the mail with how often I’ve liked the assorted old Westerns I’ve seen. Thankfully She Wore a Yellow Ribbon came along as a quality control test. You see, I’ve mostly targeted the classic Westerns so far: the top tier ones that nearly everyone agrees are good (High Noon, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, etc.). She Wore a Yellow Ribbon isn’t one of those. It’s in the “just another John Wayne Western” category, and it feels like it. There are only so many stories to tell, especially in this era that wasn’t as introspective about the genre, so the films do turn into a Mr. Potato Head story. Same body; enough different parts to count as new. There’s nothing in this I haven’t seen before. It’s entertaining enough once you accept that the Native American depictions aren’t going to be great and it might see the Confederate’s point of view a little too well. John Wayne is a god damn movie star as always. While I don’t recognize the rest of the cast, I’m sure the all had perfectly fine careers, because they were perfectly fine here.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment