Thursday, May 19, 2022

Quick Reaction: The Two Faces of January


I’d like to apologize to this film. In the days leading up to this, I binged Inventing Anna. Directly before watching this film, I watched the Tinder Swindler. I picked The Two Faces of January based only on the cast with no idea what it was about. Had I known if was another crime/con story, I never would’ve picked it, because I was way past my saturation point on those. Unfortunately, I did watch it and I had no patience for it. I certainly like watching Oscar Isaac, Kirsten Dunst, and Viggo Mortensen on screen in exotic south eastern European locations. The drama didn’t pull me in though. It didn’t help that they killed off Dunst so early. I’ve lost patience for stories about violence to the female character being a motivator for the male characters. Besides, I absolutely watched this with the intention of seeing Dunst and Isaac being attractive around each other.

 

The movie has some decent twists. It’s sort of a B- The Talented Mister Ripley if you are in the mood for that. The movie probably deserved more than I came into it with, but it’s not nearly good enough for me to watch it a second time.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment