Thursday, May 19, 2022

Quick Reaction: Short Cuts


I respect the hell out of Robert Altman’s work in these ensemble movies but the magic trick just doesn’t work on me. This is quite the juggling act. The cast is huge. The number of stories going on is incredible. The way they mix together is impressive. It’s had to find a weak performance. But the net result is that “I spent 3 hours for that?” I had a similar reaction to Nashville and The Player, although I see why Nashville is generally the highest praised. I don’t need frogs falling from the sky, but I need just a little more to bring everything together. The earthquake wasn’t enough of an inflection point. In hindsight, it makes a lot of sense that this film’s only Oscar nomination was for directing. The greatest accomplishment of this movie is that it somehow comes together into something coherent. It’s so damn long though.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment