Saturday, May 14, 2022

Delayed Reaction: Relic

Premise: A woman and her daughter find her missing mother, who is afflicted by something dark and strange.

 


This is a rather simple movie, really. It fits into a couple horror subgenres that have been producing good films in the last few years. It’s an old age horror like The Visit or The Taking of Deborah Logan which use things like dementia or Alzheimer’s for horror purposes. It’s also Australian horror which has been producing some of the best horror in recent years. Look no further than The Babadook.

 

Relic isn’t a horror movie that relies on big tricks to work. I don’t recall any jump scares. There are a few disgusting moments, but it doesn’t revel in them. It’s more psychological and not that concerned with explaining it all: a decision I almost always prefer. I don’t fully get the point of things like Bella Heathcoate’s character getting caught in a loop moving through the house. It felt right in the moment though. And the ending is perfect in a subdued way. It’s not a big reveal. Just a sad indication that it’s all set to repeat. I prefer horror that leaves me with dread rather than ones that try to scare me in the moment, so I’m a fan of what Relic does.

 

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment