Thursday, September 2, 2021

Quick Reaction: McCabe & Mrs. Miller


For something considered one of the great Westerns, I sure had a hard time getting into this. Warren Beatty and Julie Christie are good in the lead roles. The Robert Altman flourishes are nice. All the Leonard Cohen songs gave it an interesting feel. I'm sure it was a great inversion of the Western genre in 1971. I've seen enough Unforgivens and Deadwoods at this point though that that aspect doesn't seem as fresh. Warren Beatty doesn't disappear into the role as much as I'd like. Even with the big beard he somehow still looked baby-faced. This isn't the era for him. Not a bad movie by any stretch. Just one I couldn't get into. Thus, I continue my search for a favorite Robert Altman movie.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment