Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Emmy Predictions: 2021 Results

About a year ago, as I've done for many years, I made 10 predictions about how I thought the 2021 Emmys would go. I don't have much to say about this year's actual Awards ceremony or winners. It really lacked variety in nominees and winners, which somewhat reflects the COVID shutdowns and delays for much of it. I’ll be posting my 2022 predictiopns shortly, but first let’s take a look back at how I did with last year’s predictions.

 


Prediction:
Netflix will finally get that Series win it desires.

Reasoning: Netflix was 0/30 in the major series awards after last year. It sounded like their programming schedule was the least immediately impacted by COVID shutdowns, so they were in a great situation to take advantage during a down year.

Reality: I was very right. In fact, they won Limited Series and Drama Series, largely thanks to almost every other major show getting delayed.

 

Prediction: HBO won't win any of the big three series awards.

Reasoning: I fully expected to be wrong about this since Schitt’s Creek ending left comedy series open and I thought Succession would be back in time.

Reality: I was dead on again. They weren’t ready with anything good in Drama Series. Even if I count the HBOMax series, Ted Lasso was too much of a stream roller to win in Comedy. Limited Series was close but Queen’s Gambit’s populist appeal edged out late arrival Mare of Easttown and holdover I May Destroy You.

 

Prediction: The TV Movie winner will be a movie that was originally supposed to have a theatrical release.

Reasoning: I wasn’t sure how the Oscar eligibility would impact these streaming-released movies. I figured regardless, the pool of nominees after theaters had been shut down for so long would be uncommonly deep.

Reality: Everyone is still chasing that Oscar, so the TV Movie selection was a lot of cast offs.

 

Prediction: Last Week Tonight loses the Talk Series and/or writing category.

Reasoning: Even during the Daily Show’s reign, another show would occasionally sneak in a writing win.

Reality: Last Week Tonight remains unbeatable in voters’ eyes.

 

Prediction: Regina King gets another Emmy nomination.

Reasoning: She had 5 nominations in 6 years for playing 5 different characters on three different shows. They'd nominate her as long as there was a way to do it, even if I didn’t know of anything she was working on.

Reality: She didn’t do any eligible TV work. Not even a guest acting gig.

 

Prediction: RuPaul's Drag Race loses.

Reasoning: They like to throw in a weird win in the category to shake up the monotony on occasion.

Reality: Not. Let monotony reign. Also, still a good winner.

 

Prediction: The "Other" streaming services get fewer nominations than in 2020.

Reasoning: I figured Disney+, Apple TV+, Peacock, Paramount+, and HBO Max would regress from the 6 main ceremony nominations they received.

Reality: WAAAAAY wrong. 22 for Disney+. 13 each for Apple TV+ and HBO Max. 2 for Peacock. That means the number went from 6 to 50. I need to stop doubting the newer streaming services.

 

Prediction: Fargo will drop in the nomination count significantly.

Reasoning: Season 3 had the fewest of any seasons with 16 nominations and momentum was waning.

Reality: Just three nomination and for nothing major. This show fell of the map.

 

Prediction: The Mandalorian gets another Drama Series nomination.

Reasoning: The first season barely snuck in, but COVID delays moved a lot of competitors out of the way.

Reality: Right again. It actually picked up a lot of nominations. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Pedro Pascal with the first man out of the Lead Actor race.

 

Prediction: Steve Carrell finally wins an Emmy.

Reasoning: I thought The Morning Show would be back and/or Space Force was on its way and looking like it could be something.

Reality: The Morning Show wasn’t ready and Space Force wasn’t good.

 

I did better than I thought I would (4 of 10) but the COVID calendar really compliacated things. It’s always a fun exercise though. 2022 predictions coming soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment