Monday, September 27, 2021

Quick Reaction: The Last Letter from Your Lover


For how excited I was by the cast of this movie, I sure have nothing to say about it. The premise is clever enough: a reporter in modern times finds the old love letters from a man carrying on an affair with a married woman. It overplays its hand by also being an amnesia story though. I think Felicity Jones and Shailene Woodley should've switched roles. That has more to do with Woodley. She reads as exceedingly modern. To fit in the period setting, she has to be so wooden. Jones is better at finding the grace notes in period roles. The movie is dull. I couldn't get invested in any of the romances. The Netflix name makes movies like this more prominent than they otherwise would be. Normally, this would sneak away unnoticed at TIFF with a nothing release in theaters 9 months later. The main things working in its favor are that I generally like Jones and Woodley and while dull, nothing it the story actively annoys me.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment