Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Operation Condor

Premise: A treasure hunter goes searching for gold buried in the Sahara Desert in WWII that is being pursued by others at the same time.

 


Apparently, everything about how I watched this movie was wrong. I didn't even realize it was a sequel the 1986's Armour of God until looking it up to write this Reaction. I also didn't know that the 90-minute version I saw had 15 minutes cut from it. There's even a 117-minute cut out there somewhere.

 

None of that really mattered though. I still loved this movie. I guess one day Jackie Chan just decided to make an Indiana Jones movie. It's very similar in location, story, and tone. The big difference is that it has Jackie Chan's signature stunt work and choreography. This one does not disappoint. It is filled with ambitious and complex stunts. Like normal, I didn't even appreciate how difficult many of them were until the outtakes during the credits. This is also typically big on the physical comedy too. His trio of female sidekicks are a surprising amount of fun even though their ability to actually do stunts was limited.

 

I'm kind of glad I started with a dubbed version of this. I don't have a problem with subtitles, but it does make it harder to be transfixed by what's happening on screen. With this dubbed version, I got to be fully focused on the action. Maybe I'll track down a longer subtitled cut later. This is probably the most purely entertaining non-English Jackie Chan movie I've seen since Police Story.

 

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment