Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Spontaneous

Premise: The students of a high school class start spontaneously exploding for no apparent reason.

I mean...sure.

 


I'm on board for what this movie has to offer. It's a horror black comedy coming-of-age story. That fills up my movie taste Bingo board as well as any recent movie. If they could just throw in a few grade-schoolers swearing then this might be my favorite movie by force. It's got Katherine Langford and Charlie Plummer (who I've both liked in many things at this point) playing teenagers who are good at sarcasm and make movie references that were written by someone at least in their 30s. These are all things I like. So, unsurprisingly, I liked this movie.

 

It gets a little too self-serious toward the end, and it spells out its message a little too much at the very end. Otherwise, this delivers. The spontaneous combustion is delightfully random. The filmmakers really get into how disgusting the mess left behind would be. I enjoy how it never really explains the combustions. It hints at some science, but smartly remembers that it's just a loud metaphor for the fragility of life.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment