Sunday, June 6, 2021

Delayed Reaction: The Great Muppet Caper

Premise: The Muppets get caught up in a caper, and it's great.

 


It's weird that I never had a Muppet phase as a kid. The irreverence and meta humor seem right up my alley. Perhaps it's not that surprising of a blind spot. The 90s output wasn't great, with Jim Henson dying in 1990, when I was 3. The show ended in the early 80s. I didn't even watch Sesame Street. My Muppet exposure was low, and that's a shame.

 

The Great Muppet Caper isn't the joyous celebration of The Muppet Movie, but it's still pretty damn good. The humor is there. I love the silliness of the running gag about Kermit and Fozzie being identical twins. A lot of fun cameos too. Some of the farcical elements of the story made the movie feel more like an overlong sitcom episode at times, but it never goes too long without a self-aware joke to puncture any of the tension.

 

I won't say more than I have to about this. I like the Muppets and this gave me Muppets. I'm happy with that.
 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment