Monday, September 21, 2020

Quick Reaction: Grand Hotel

Premise: The intertwined stories of numerous people in the Grand Hotel.

 

These early Best Picture winners sure are snoozers. Here's a good indicator of what I mean. Grand Hotel holds the distinction of being the only Best Picture winner with only a single nomination. Nothing else about the movie other than the movie itself was nominated. Not acting. Not directing. Not writing. Not any technical category. Grand Hotel is the equivalent of a sports team that wins a championship without an All-Star on its roster. The cast is good. It's pretty much as star-studded as you could get in 1932: Greta Garbo, two Barrymores, Joan Crawford. I appreciate the ensemble factor of the storytelling. I feel like those movies have a hard time winning these days. My attention just repeatedly trailed off while watching this. I did that thing where I was watching and realized I'd missed everything that happened for the last five minutes. It's more forgettable than bad.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment