Friday, July 24, 2020

Quick Reaction: Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler

Check movie durations, my friends. I got a double-disk of this in the mail from Netflix. Both disks said 2h20m, so I assumed the 2nd disk was extras or maybe the movie, while short enough to be on one, had to be on two disks for some reason. Nope, the disks lied. This was four hours and I ended up devoting an entire night to this that I wasn't planning on. For a 1922 movie though, this was pretty good. I could see equal parts Metropolis (director Fritz Lang's film from 5 years later) and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) in the distinctive German Expressionist style. It's a visually striking movie in both the production design and acting style of the actors. The length of the movie is quite punishing though. It falls neatly in the category of movies that I'm happy to have seen for historical purposes but I didn't really care for enough to ever watch again.


Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment