Monday, July 27, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Hamilton

Premise: A recording of a performance of the Hamilton musical with the original cast in 2016.

I've wavered on whether or not to do a Reaction for this. I don't write these for other stage shows I watch: comedy specials and one-man shows in particular. Then again, I did cover Stop Making Sense, and how's that different from this? Ultimately, I landed on the side of writing a Reaction, because it's an event release that Disney+ is treating like a big movie release. Now, I just need to find something to say about it.


Whenever I talk about anything with an ardent fan base, I feel unqualified to say anything. I don't have any deep knowledge of Hamilton. I didn't see it live on Broadway (I saw a touring production though). I bought the soundtrack after a lot of the hype had died down. I couldn't name half the cast or tell you any other productions they've been in. I know the songs. I haven't memorized any of them. I'm a fan but not a superfan.

At least, in my head, I think in tiers of liking things. There are things that I just like. Then there are things that "are mine". Not in an exclusive way. Just because it's mine doesn't mean it can't be yours. They are things that I have personal stock in. If someone doesn't like The Leftovers or About Time, I take it personally, even though I know my identity isn't actually tied to these things. The stuff I simply like though, I'm not invested in. I like Star Trek, but if you tell me you don't, my thought is "ok, cool."

A phenomenon that gets annoying that I'm really trying to break myself of is when the fanbase of something is so ardent that I end up on the negative end just because I only like it. The Office is a great example of this. I like The Office. I saw every episode. I love the cast and writers. I think it's an important sitcom of its era. It's nowhere near being one of my favorites though. The cult of The Office is so passionate that I'll often find myself saying "It wasn't that good. Are we just going to ignore the second half of the series that was uneven-to-outright bad?" Even though I have a lot of fond memories of the show, I'm dealing with such passionate fans that the balance gets totally thrown off about what it means to be a fan.

So, back to Hamilton. I'm a fan, not a superfan. I find it easy to write about things I'm a superfan of because I love gushing about those things. It's also easy for me to write about things I'm indifferent about (even though it often comes out as more negative than I intend). It's hard for me to write about things at the Hamilton tier. Other people will have much better takes. Hell, I'm going to spend most of this Reaction defining fandom rather than talking about the show. (You should really be used to that by now though.) Given all these caveat and qualifiers, here I go.

I think Hamilton is good.

That's about all I've got. Sorry. The theatrical production is clearly a well-oiled machine by the time they do this recording. The film crew does a good job catching the right angles, knowing when to do close and wide shots, etc. I wouldn't say I felt like I was in the crowd that night, but I do feel like I watched a professionally made recording of it.

That cast is as incredible as I thought they'd be from listening to the soundtrack. It was nice to put a face to some of the actors. Specifically, Chris Jackson (George Washington) and Okieriete Onaodowan (Hercules Mulligan/James Madison) were good to finally see. Mostly, I liked the normal theater stuff of seeing what everyone brought to their interpretation of the character. I liked all the laugh lines that the soundtrack doesn't catch. It was nice to see Jonathan Groff's King George spitting with rage as he sang. I appreciate how often Lin Manuel Miranda cedes the spotlight to other characters.

I have the same issue with this that I do with the show in general. I think it drags at the end. "Burn" is a showstopper, but the rest of the songs toward the end are among my least favorites.

Overall though, this is a thoroughly enjoyable watch. Seeing it live would've of course been better, but it's nice that we have this as an alternative since we can't magically make in 2016 again (and be in New York, and have the money to afford tickets,...)

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment