Sunday, July 5, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Castle in the Sky

Premise: A young girl and boy try to protect a magic crystal from some military forces and also look for a fabled castle in, well, the sky.

These premises for Miyazaki movies will be the end of me. That guy is a master of world building. It doesn't feel like that much as I'm watching the movies, but attempting to explain them after the fact is daunting. I have to either describe it in such general terms that it sounds like nothing or I got fully down the rabbit hole trying to explain any part of it briefly.


I'm not crazy about steampunk in general, but it works quite well in this. It's hard to come away from any Miyazaki movie not impressed by the visuals. This feels like a big overall improvement from Nausicaa. The characters popped more. The action and soundtrack drew me in more. I can't help but wonder how a movie like this would've embedded in my psyche had I seen it when I was younger.

I wish I had more to say about Miyazaki's movie. They're just good. It's that enough?

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment