Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Enter the Dragon

Premise: A Shaolin master is recruited to infiltrate a martial arts tournament on a secluded island to expose a suspected crime lord.

I never had a Bruce Lee phase. Martial arts movies have never been my cup of tea. I have nothing against them. They just never appealed much to me. To my knowledge, Enter the Dragon is the first of these I've ever seen. That said, WMAC Masters should've run for longer than just one season.

Right away, it's clear that Bruce Lee was a force of nature. He brings so much intensity to everything. Even the way he talks looks like it would exhaust any other person. It's a shame he died so young, because it would've been fun to have him go through the phases like Arnold Schwarzenegger did. Would there be a Bruce Lee Twins equivalent? That would be fun.

This premise is delightfully looney. It obviously works backwards from the idea "Why would Bruce Lee need to fight someone?" Well, a martial arts tournament. OK. Up the stakes: It's run by a crime lord. But why don't they just send agents there? Of course, because it's on a secluded island where guns aren't allowed. Then you'd need to employ a Shaolin master for it.

I'm not desensitized enough to just go with it, but I can see the appeal.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment