Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Eve's Bayou


Premise: A tumultuous summer in the lives of a black family living in a Creole-American Louisiana community in the 1960s.

There's a point of distinction that I run into more and more often as I've opened up the list of movies I see. There are movies that I like and movies that I'm glad to have seen. Eve's Bayou is a great example of this distinction. I didn't care much for this movie. The story is a sort of family melodrama that doesn't do a lot for me. I've seen enough stories about cheating fathers getting caught, children keeping their secret, and wives navigating how to respond. But, I am glad I saw this movie, because this isn't a perspective I've seen much. This is a movie about a well-to-do black community in the South in the 1960s that actually gets to be about something other than racism. The movie is filled with great location details. The Southern mysticism is fun. Even though I didn't care much for the actual story, I liked the world it was set in. The performances are quite good too. A young Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Meagan Good are pretty great. It's nice to see a Samuel L. Jackson performance that doesn't rely entirely on his charisma. Debbi Morgan is one of those actresses I've seen in a dozen things but never gets a role this juicy. So, I'm glad to have Eve's Bayou in my rolodex of movie references now.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment