Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Throne of Blood

Premise: A retelling of Macbeth set in feudal Japan.

I'm three Kurosawa movies in at this point, and I must say, I'm impressed. Rashomon immediately became a favorite movie of mine*. Seven Samurai is a story type that I love (recruit the band then play a show). Throne of Blood is another simple concept, reimagined and made more entertaining.

*My list of favorites is getting pretty crowded these days. I like movies!

Of the few Shakespeare plays I've read, Macbeth is one of the 2 I liked the most (that and Henry V, I think). It's an especially cinematic idea that I'm surprised more movies haven't borrowed from. I'm not sure that moving it to feudal Japan adds much to the idea, but it sure looks cooler. I loved the use of fog in the movie. It's a simple and effective tone-setter. Toshiro Mifune is great when he's asked to play someone at the edge of madness.
Hopefully it doesn't take me as long to get to my fourth Kurosawa, given that he hasn't disappointed yet.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment