Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Quick Reaction: The Buena Vista Social Club

I'm not the biggest fan of this kind of documentary. It's a music doc that interviews a lot of the artists between recordings of their performances. For me, it still comes down to how much I like the music or the music performances. Few movies overcome this. So, Buena Vista Social Club mostly comes down to how much I like the Cuban music... The music is fine, but I'm not ever going to choose to listen to it with my free time. That makes Buena Vista Social Club good background programming (except for the fact that it has subtitles). I appreciate the efforts of the movie. It's great that they tracked down all these Cuban music legends and exposed them to new audiences. Some of their stories were interesting. But, when it cut to the performances, it was a bunch of retirees playing music I was indifferent about. I suppose other people like the music more, which is why the documentary did so well when it came out,

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment