Sunday, March 3, 2019

Delayed Reaction: The Trip to Spain


The Pitch: Even more Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon being frienemies.
 
Coogan and Brydon take their banter and impressions to Spain.

I still wouldn't call myself a fan of the Trip series. Through three movies though, I do have a fondness for them as a result of familiarity. I found myself laughing more in A Trip to Spain at callbacks than new jokes. Steve and Rob certainly feel more like friends now. The first movie was them reacquainting after a long time, as a last resort. The second movie was to see if they could recapture the magic. By the third, it's clear that this is just a thing they do every so often. And both men seem to be in better spirits.

I have trouble even a couple days later recalling specific bits in Spain as opposed to the previous two movies. I chuckled enough though.

I don't know what to do with that ending. It appears to be moving into something a lot more plot heavy. I have no desire to watch A Trip to Libya, with Steve Coogan captured by ISIS. Hopefully, that's just a red herring and in 2020, I'm reluctantly watching Coogan and Brydon swapping Tom Hardy impressions in A Trip to Germany.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment