Monday, March 11, 2019

Movie Reaction: Captain Marvel



Here's what I knew about the character Captain Marvel before seeing the movie:
-Her name is Carol Danvers (sp?).
-She's super powerful. Like, enough to swing the balance in the fight against a full-strength Thanos
-She's human but not.
-There's a whole thing about her and Shazam over the years involving name changes and legal stuff that's not worth explaining and doesn't matter anyway.
-I think she might wear a jacket.

In other words, keeping with my tradition, I know next to nothing about her. I am a well-documented Marvel apologist though. I love that someone had the balls to try building this interconnected universe and found a way to make it succeed. There's obviously a commercial element, but the money grab aspect is more about the studio (Oh no! A business wants to make money!). The people masterminding the MCU are just creative-types getting to play on a scale never before seen in cinema. I refuse to be cynical about something like that. So, I'm a general fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) with a low-level of comic book knowledge, who only sort of remembers what's happened in the other 20 MCU movies.

With that in mind, Captain Marvel is among the least accessible Marvel films to date (...but still pretty accessible. That's how they make money.). It's not quite Thor: Dark World, but it's closer to that than something more straight-forward and terrestrial like Iron Man. You see, the movie begins by introducing us to the intergalactic war between alien races called the Kree and the Skrulls. Vers (Brie Larson) is a Kree warrior. Kree are like a warrior class of Vulcans. The Skrulls are a species that can morph to look like other people. Vers doesn't fully remember her past. Some stuff happens, and she eventually crash lands on Earth, where she slowly comes to realize that she's from. As she starts to remember bits of her past, she meets up with Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson, digitally de-aged disturbingly well) while trying to prevent a Skrull invasion of Earth. That's as detailed as I'm going to get. Not because I'm worried about spoilers or twists. It's just a lot to take in, and I'm not that concerned with the story of the film. I'd rather look at the execution of it.

Captain Marvel is a movie serving many masters. I don't know how to seamlessly move between its different functions, so I'm just going to bluntly address all the ones I can think of.

Captain Marvel is an origin story. We don't know Carol Danvers beforehand. She doesn't even know herself at the beginning of the movie. Overall, this is a solid origin story. Carol has more than a little Steve Rodgers in her. In fact, the movie is essentially the space madness of Guardians mixed with the can-do spirit of Captain America: The First Avenger. Brie Larson plays the role somewhat reserved. It's hard for her to be herself if she doesn't remember who that is. To paraphrase the movie itself, Larson is fleshing out her character with one arm tied behind her back. She lets out just enough of her personality for me to be excited to see her bounce of the Avengers in Endgame. She's a great addition to the long list of heroes. She'll cut up with the best of them. I do think the fact that her greatest strength is her iron-willed determination is a little incongruous with her backstory as a trained Kree warrior. She's basically the most powerful hero we've come across. Having her refuse to get knocked down isn't really that vital. I'd rather just see her be an efficient badass. (Note: The more I've thought about this, I think my complaint is actually that I wish Brie had better action directors for her fight scenes.)

Captain Marvel is a prequel of sorts. Did I forget to mention that this movie is set in the 90s? I still haven't come to terms with the fact that my childhood has now moved into nostalgia territory. It was bound to happen. The movie is a checklist of 90s callbacks that are fun for a moment but add very little overall. What's more pertinent to the film is that it features younger versions of Nick Fury, Agent Coulson, and SHIELD as an agency. This aspect of the movie is responsible for most of my eye rolls. Captain Marvel crosses what I'm calling the "Solo Line". Named for Solo: A Star Wars Story, the Solo Line is the point when a prequel explains too much character backstory. Captain Marvel explains several things that didn't really need explaining (how Fury loses his eye, for example). Some is fine, but there's a point when it starts to feel gratuitous, and that's the Solo Line. Like all prequels, you can feel Captain Marvel pressing up against the bounds of what it was allowed to do. Characters show up who you know can't die. Certain threats appear that you know won't amount to anything. It's unavoidable, but some movies are better than others at not making it so apparent.

Captain Marvel is an table-setting movie. Some MCU movies are more about moving pieces into place for future installments than others. Age of Ultron was lousy with set up. On the other end of the spectrum, Ant-Man and the Wasp got to exist largely in its own world. Captain Marvel is more on the Age of Ultron end. It's very busy filling in blanks about who the Kree and Skrull are. It has to set up exactly how powerful Captain Marvel is (Answer: she's a Hootie AND the Blowfish; Guns AND Roses; the Fresh Queen of the Universe; Salt, Peppa, AND Spinderella). Until other movies come out, it's hard to know what else exactly was set-up for the future. You just know when you are watching something that is thinking three steps ahead.

Captain Marvel is a female superhero movie. Marvel should've had a female-led movie before the 11th year and 21st movie. Scarlett Johansson has proven in every way that she was deserving (awesome character, highly respected actress, bankable). Evangeline Lilly so took over Ant-Man that they could've green lit a Wasp movie that Monday. That said, I will believe that Marvel had a plan for the MCU and decided to wait until it was the right time for their story rather than beat DC's Wonder Woman just so it could be the first. It took too long and I hope it will be a more regular occurrence. I can come up with a list of a dozen actresses without even trying who should be leads in superhero movies (Side Note: Is there an Irish superhero who Saoirse Ronan can play? Please.). Captain Marvel hits the female empowerment angle hard. I love the messaging. I would've preferred a little more subtlety, but I get why the filmmakers thought differently. I'm not going to be the asshole who dies on the hill of "why'd they have to make it so clear that women can be awesome too?". No Marvel movie is perfect, and these are the kind of imperfections I can live with.

At the end of the day, this is a Marvel movie. It's not a big crossover "event" movie. By now, you should know what to expect from these movies. I've noticed people keep saying that directors Anna Bolden and Ryan Fleck brought their indie sensibilities to a major Marvel movie. That's an overstatement. This is a big, planet-hopping movie. It has some smaller moments too. Where their indie movie past shows up is that the smaller moments are the best parts of the movie. The bigger moments are messier. They haven't made the most visually impressive or action-packed Marvel movie to date. And that's fine. It's still that familiar mix of action and humor with just enough drama to keep things moving forward. I really liked the humor of the movie. Just about everything they do with the cat, Goose, is great. Ben Mendelsohn gets to be funnier than I'm used to seeing. Whenever Larson's personality peeks out from behind the amnesia, she's wry and charming. This is the most that Nick Fury has acted like a stereotypical Samuel L. Jackson character (and I mean that in the best way). There's enough comic-book minutia in this that I assume the fanboy community will be fairly split on it. Then, non-comic people will be split because the Marvel movies that deal more with outer space have a harder time succeeded. Unlike other successful intergalactic Marvel movies (Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor: Ragnorok), Captain Marvel doesn't use comedy as heavily  to ofiset the extra-terrestrial bits. So, I'll be curious to hear what the consensus ends up being on this one. This is one that I'd rather watch as part of a MCU movie binge than stand-alone in the future. I liked it, and that's all I need from a Marvel movie. 

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment