Friday, March 1, 2019

March Movie Preview


There are at least 35 new movies coming out in the month of March. I'm sure that isn't a record, but it's a lot. By my count, only 8 of those movies are getting a wide release (~1000+ screens). When all is said and done, I'll maybe see  a dozen of these movie before I die. Most of these movies won't be worth talking about. So, I'm going to do yet another redesign of my Monthly Preview posts. As is, these posts have the worst "time spent" to "post usefulness" ratio of anything I do, and I'd like to correct that. This new structure fits with what I like to do anyway: It's a monthly top 10. It's the 10 movies that I'm most excited about in a given month. No one really wants to hear my take on the latest Tyler Perry Madea movie that I have no desire to see, so I'll spare you from that. Plus, in months like February and December, I might actually get a chance to see some daylight if I do it this way. Yes, the list will be ranked. No, I don't expect it to remain in the same order once I've seen the movies. Yes, there will be months when it's more than 10. No, I don't think it'll ever be less than 10. Maybe in September. That month is brutal.

1. Captain Marvel (Mar 8)
Brie Larson can't remember her past on Earth and now is bulked up with superpowers for fighting alien invaders.
Working For It: I'll watch Brie Larson in anything. The recent wave of 90s nostalgia is still charming and not yet annoying to me. Marvel keeps finding other actors I love who haven't been in one of there movies yet. This one brings in Gemma Chan, Annette Bening, Ben Mendelsohn, and others. The 90s setting also allows them to bring back some old favorites like Clark Gregg's Agent Coulson. At the end of the day, I've bought into the Marvel machine, so I'm excited for another enjoyable, imperfect installment in the MCU.
Working Against It: As much as I love Brie Larson, I'm not sold on her in this role yet. Granted, the trailers haven't told me much about the character at all. As impressive as it is, I'm still unnerved by Marvel's de-aging technology, so 1995 Samuel L. Jackson is going to be a little weird. Really, I just want to know more about this movie, because it just feels like filler before Avengers: Endgame so far.

2. Us (Mar 22)
A family is terrorized by a doppelganger family that shows up in the middle of the night.
Working For It: Get Out was very enjoyable. Jordan Peele is back with another movie in the same vein, only this one has Lupita Nyong'o: an upgrade by any measure.
Working Against It: I think the movie will be fine, but suspect this won't be embraced the way Get Out was. Get Out was such an delicate balancing act that it's hard for me to believe any filmmaker could pull it off a second time. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

3. Dumbo (Mar 29)
You know, circus, flying elephant, big ears. This time it's live-action.
Working For It: Disney's batting average with these live-action remakes has been high enough that I'm seeing this almost regardless of anything I hear about it beforehand. I'm curious about the adult cast. Eva Green constantly milks good performances out of bad roles*. Collin Farrell has rejuvenated his career in the last few years. Alan Arkin and Michael Keaton bring some "old man charm". Danny DeVito is almost too obvious for this kind of movie.
Working Against It: It's been a while since Tim Burton directing a film was considered a strength, even though this is right up his alley. Disney is pushing these Live-Action remakes so hard (Aladdin and The Lion King are both less than 6 months away as well) that something is bound to flop hard. Given that I disliked the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo is a lesser animated classic, this movie looks like the most likely failure.
*Seriously, what she did in that 300 sequel hasn't been praised as much as it deserves.

4. Apollo 11 [Limited] (Mar 1)
A documentary about the Apollo 11 mission using footage of the mission to tell the story.
Working For It: I like when documentaries are able to tell  stories with only the footage, which Apollo 11 apparently does. Along with last year's First Man, it looks to bring the human perspective to this massive undertaking.
Working Against It: After First Man, this seems a little soon for an Apollo 11 documentary (although I realize both were undoubtedly made now to honor the 50 year anniversary). From what I hear, you need to go into this doc with some knowledge of the mission to begin with. Since there's no narration, you need some context.

5. The Kid [Limited] (Mar 8)
The story of Billy the Kid vs. Sheriff Pat Garrett from the perspective of a young boy trapped in the middle of it all.
Working For It: I'm increasingly a fan of Westerns. The cast (Dane DeHaan, Vincent D'Onofrio, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawk,) is far better than I would have expected for such a small movie. That's probably tied to the fact that D'Onofrio directed it (his first in 9 years).
Working Against It: Hawke, Pratt, D'Onofrio. Did they just film this as soon as The Magnificent Seven wrapped? Did they already have the costumes and sets then decide they might as well get some more use out of them? I'm not expecting much out of this except that it looks like Chris Pratt is having some weird-ball fun, which we don't get to see as much from him these days.

6. The Beach Bum [Limited] (Mar 29)
Matthew McConaughey is a, well, beach bum.
Working For It: Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers has grown on me over the years. He appears to be applying the same basic formula to McConaughey's work in Surfer, Dude. I love that McConaughey got respectable longer enough to get an Oscar and now is back to doing the crazy shit that's closer to who he really is. This movie has another fun and weird cast. I don't really know what the movie is going to be about, but I assume it will start out really funny then get really dark.
Working Against It: The reason that I haven't gone back and watched more of Harmony Korine's movies after how much I liked Spring Breakers is that most of his movies scare me. That guy can get dark is some really disturbing ways.

7. Greta (Mar 1)
A young woman befriends an older woman who turns out to be a stalker of some sort.
Working For It: Chloe Grace Moretz vs. Isabelle Hupert. It's from the director of The Crying Game and Byzantium, so there's a European touch to this that intrigues me. It has Maika Monroe too. I haven't seen much of her since the ID4 sequel.
Working Against It: I worry that the trailer has spoiled too much of the twistiness.

8. Five Feet Apart (Mar 15)
Two teens with severe and isolating illnesses fall in love.
Working For It: It's impressive how quickly Haley Lu Richardson has shot up my board of actors to look out for. She's entirely the reason I'd consider seeing this The Fault in Our Stars knock off.
Working Against It: As I said, without Richardson, it's a movie with little else that interests me, including a lot of teenage melodrama.

9. Hotel Mumbai (Mar 22)
Terrorists take over an Indian hotel. The assorted hostages try to survive and escape.
Working For It: This is the sort of ensemble cast thriller that I could lose an afternoon to in the days of channel surfing. I like Dev Patel, Armie Hammer, Jason Isaac, and Nazanin Boniadi. I don't recognize most of the names of the largely Indian cast, but I wouldn't mind an introduction to them.
Working Against It: First time director. Versatile writer. I could see some tonal issues balancing the human stakes with the sensationalism. I assume this will be a mess, but there's plenty of room for it to prove me wrong.

10. Triple Threat [Limited] (Mar 22)
Assassins are hired to kill a billionaire's daughter and one man (or maybe a small group) must fend them off.
Working For It: It has Iko Uwais, which immediately gets me thinking about The Raid movies. If this is like The Raid movies, then I'd love to watch it.
Working Against It: This probably isn't The Raid. While the director is a stuntman and that was part of the appeal of the John Wick movies*, he's directed over a dozen movies. I've heard of none of them. That suggests the whole won't match the sum of its parts.
*Different director for John Wick but both directors used to be stunt men.

Other Nationwide Releases
Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral (Mar 1) I'm just not a Madea fan. I've actually grown to like Tyler Perry a lot as a performer and celebrity in general, but I've hated all of his Madea movies that I've seen.

Wonder Park (Mar 15) Despite my love of theme parks (Disney ones, in particular) this animated fantasy amusement park movie doesn't have me at all curious.

Unplanned (Mar 29) The advertising is going a little more nuanced than the Gosnell movie last year, but the budget: moral righteousness ratio is still out of whack.


No comments:

Post a Comment