Friday, October 26, 2018

Delayed Reaction: The Trip

The Pitch: As fictionalized versions of themselves, Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon bicker over delicious food.

Coogan and Brydon go on a food tour of Northern England.

To my knowledge, this is a first. The Trip is TV Series in England. The first series is six episodes. In the states, the episodes were edited down and released as a feature film by the same name. I'm sure this has been done before. I know failed TV pilots used to be released as TV movies a lot back in the day. I can't remember another case of this getting a theatrical release. I've heard about the Trip movies for years (each of the three seasons has been turned into a film), but it wasn't until I looked this movie up after watching it that I realized it began as a TV show. That explains a lot, actually. There wasn't anything cinematic about the film. It was roughly edited, which I assumed was the result of it being heavily improvised. I assume that's still true of the show. I almost feel like I should track down the series instead of writing about the movie.

However, the movie was a delight that I'd like to write about. There really isn't much to it. Coogan and Brydon play fictionalized and exaggerated versions of themselves. They've done this before for director Michael Winterbottom. Coogan is arrogant and petty. Brydon is needy and insecure. OK, all those descriptions apply to both men but in different measures. They are the kind of friends who are only friends because they've known each other long enough and seen enough of each other to have familiarity that is generally called friendship. That's a strained description, because everything about their interactions is strained. Their competitiveness is what's most enjoyable for me as a viewer. The movie is filled with scenes of one doing an impression of someone while the other insults it. The highlight is their battling Michael Caines.

The food looks pretty good too.

I'm looking forward to getting to the next two movies. I enjoying hanging out with these two insufferable friends.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment