Monday, November 14, 2022

Delayed Reaction: Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

Premise: Freddy is back to killing young people again.


This is a silly franchise. I’ll admit, I’m mostly watching them because that’s a thing you do as a horror fan. Slashers don’t quite do it for me. There isn’t a lot of tension because I know Jason is always coming back and there’s no iconic final girl. The cast are all red shirts. I’m not a creative deaths critiquer either. Still, they are some nice, mindless fun.

 

What’s also entertaining with the Friday the 13th franchise has been tracking the arc of it. None of the movies are truly generic. The first is the originator. The second is the first where Jason is actually the killer. The third introduces the mask. Now, the fourth is the first attempt to end it. At least, the title suggests it’s supposed to be the end. I love looking in hindsight to see that the next movie is “A New Beginning” and it came out just a year later. I don’t know why I’m so tickled by that, but I am.

 

Nothing really stands out about this installment. The cast is decent. It’s fun to see a young Corey Feldman. Otherwise, it’s your typical blood and boobs affair with Jason.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment