Friday, June 17, 2022

Quick Reaction: Make Way for Tomorrow


I appreciate movies that dispel me of the notion that things were different “back then”. The way people talk about it now, everyone lived in multi-generation houses and honored the older generations back in the era of this movie. Of course that’s not how it was. Make Way for Tomorrow is about kids who have outgrown their parents. While they love their parents, they haven’t made that much room for them in their lives. For a while the movie is about the ways that well intentioned efforts aren’t always right. I didn’t care that much for the first hour or so. I figured out pretty early that Pa (Victor Moore) and Ma (Belulah Bondi) felt in-the-way and the kids were pretty ungrateful. It’s not until Ma and Pa have their day on the town that I felt anything for the movie. That whole sequence was very sweet. I like how they aren’t a burden to these strangers. It’s not a very subtle message, but it works.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment