Monday, June 20, 2022

Delayed Reaction: Funny Girl

Premise: A somewhat accurate account of the life of Broadway star Fanny Brice and her gambler husband.

 


I can’t pretend I’m a big Barbara Streisand fan. There are about three decades (the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s) where my perception of her ego was unbearable. She often strikes me as the definition of a diva, and I really did get tired of movies that were about her being the most desirable woman in the world. On the edges of her career though, I’ve been a fan. Her post-2000s haven’t been busy, just three performances (Meet the Fockers, Little Fockers, The Guilt Trip), but they’ve been egoless roles that prove she’s in on the joke.

 

Her 60s roles, Funny Girl and Hello Dolly!, have both been surprisingly charming. They are before she cemented herself as Barbara Streisand, and she’s very good in them. Funny Girl in particular is a great film debut. I don’t mind that winning her a Lead Actress Oscar at all. In fact, had my introduction to Streisand been those two roles, I can see how she’d get that strong fanbase of hers. I know it’s really the music that earned her the fans. I’m choosing to only look at film though. She’s an immediate star. I really love how Funny Girl is about her undeniable charm and talent, and it feels earned not assumed as a matter of fact.

 

The rest of the film I found pretty forgettable. None of the songs bounced around in my head afterwards. Omar Sharif is an OK scene partner for her, but their chemistry doesn’t light the screen on fire. I never thought I’d say this, but it’s really just Barbara who kept this interesting.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment