Sunday, May 9, 2021

Quick Reaction: Secrets & Lies


This falls under the category of "I see what you're doing. I respect what you're doing. It's not for me." This is an intricate family drama that's about the messiness of their lives. The performances are calibrated to the right tone for what Mike Leigh is going for. No one plays a false note. Marianne Jean-Baptiste and Brenda Blethyn are really sweet together. This is the most human I've seen Timothy Spall in anything. Frankly though, Brenda Blethyn's performance was grating. Not bad, I just couldn't deal with it. Her particular brand of drunken depression I had no patience for. Even while I appreciated the humor of something like her phone etiquette with Jean-Baptiste, my main impulse was "enough already". A decent movie, but I was happy to be done with it.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment