Monday, May 31, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Another Round

Premise: Four teachers test a theory that their lives would be a little better if they remained tipsy all the time.

 


Part of the fun of these Reactions for me is that I don't always know how I feel about a film before I start typing. I'm still actively processing. That's why when you look at my Reactions to some of my favorite films, they may sound pretty tame or why I rave about movies that 2 months later I can barely recall.

 

I'm definitely still processing Another Round. The idea behind the movie sounds like a vintage Apatow comedy. Found teachers, all hitting middle age, realize they've hit ruts in their lives. At a dinner, one mentions a theory from a philosopher that humans actually function best at a .05% BAC. After one of them, Martin (Mads Mikkelsen) decides to test that theory, the others join in. They attempt to legitimize it by typing it up like an experiment to measure the results. At first, it works out great. They all seem more fulfilled by their jobs. Martin reconnects with his wife and kids better than he has in years. Before long though, they run into a little trouble. They start testing the theory that only .05% BAC isn't optimal for everyone and start pushing it higher. Also, it turns out, alcohol is addictive. So, it all falls apart when they lose control and everyone in their lives starts to notice the drinking.

 

I really like the setup. I too have tried to legitimize bad ideas by telling myself they were part of a contract or experiment that I tracked. I love seeing the men's transformations from tired and defeated to loose and relaxed. They look like they know how to have a good time. I think where the movie lost me is how it arcs the rise and fall. I'm never sure how long any phase has been going on. So, it appears that they are pushing the limits of the experiment almost immediately. I would've liked to spend a little more time with when it was all working out and to get more gradual hints of the downsides. Because, as is, it appeared that life was good, then they do one night of really heavy drinking and everything goes to shit. I would've liked to see family members getting more suspicious over time or seen a few small examples of things they are messing up. I don't think the intent of the movie was to look like a bunch of alcoholics hatched a plan to explain their drinking.

 

This movie is a great example of a good ending going a long way. Mads Mikkelsen dancing under a shower of champagne is about as joyous as cinema gets. I'm not sure it really matches the message of the rest of the movie, but I don't care either.

 

So, I guess where I land on this movie is that Mads Mikkelsen and the rest of the cast are pretty great. The movie has high highs and low lows that are both well done. I just wish they would've felt more of a piece.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment