Thursday, March 11, 2021

Quick Reaction: Coming Home in the Dark


Again, sorry for the lack of detail here, but my thoughts on this movie are pretty simple. It starts off strong as hell. A family in New Zealand is out in a remote park having a picnic when a couple strangers come up to them. The strangers immediately kill some members of the family and take the rest hostage. Then it's a long drive through the night figuring out what these strangers are going to do to them. The initial murders and abduction are pretty thrilling, because I didn't know where things were going or what their motivation was. Co-writer and director James Ashcroft does a great job with that initial buildup. Once it turns into that road trip though, it becomes a long drive to nowhere. The story coasts on that initial tension and sputters to an ending. We end up finding out that the drifters have a history with the father when he was at a prior job, and that sure took away all the suspense for me. Daniel Gillies is good as the lead antagonist, giving what I described in my notes as "nefarious Josh Duhamel energy". Matthias Luafutu is a good heavy as well. I had a decent amount of fun watching this. I just wish it had a little more payoff at the end.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment