Monday, March 22, 2021

Quick Reaction: The Blazing World


This is a stylish little horror movie that feels more like a try out for future work than a fully realized passion project. Carlson Young's Alice in Wonderland-esque story has some striking visuals. The world design reminded me of Guillermo del Toro and the use of color had some Dario Argento in it. Maybe some Tarsem Singh in there to. It's a pastiche of sorts, really. In it, Margaret (Young, also in the lead role) follows an old man into a hole looking for a way to bring back her sister who died when they were children. The hole takes her to a mysterious mirror world where she has to gather 4 keys.

 

I feel bad, because I can tell a lot of thought went into all the tasks she has to complete. I'm positive there's a bunch of symbolism to the construction of the world and characters that I just didn't pick up on. My mind was admittedly mush at that point in my Sundance experience. Yet, even if this was a Day One movie, I wouldn't've been intrigued enough to figure it all out. This is a great calling card for Carlson Young moving forward, especially since she successfully adapted this idea from her own short film. I mean, she's only 30 and still works primarily as an actress. I think she's doing pretty well for herself.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment