Monday, August 17, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Buffaloed

Premise: An ambitious young women dives head first into the cutthroat world of debt collection.

What's the right test to determine how much of why I like a performer is because I find them attractive? Do I wait for Charlize Theron to make Monster and see if I still like her in that? (I do) Do I see if I think a voice-only performance by Scarlett Johansson in Her is great? (It is) Do I wait for a decade-long portfolio of great work like Rose Byne's to speak for itself? (It does) I really don't know, and it's exactly what I'm trying to figure out about Zoey Deutch.

I'm a fan of Zoey Deutch. I've seen more than one movie just because she's in it. She doesn't have the greatest track record of movies at this point, but I can't think of many times (if any) when she was the weak link. I've noticed that she works best when everyone she's on screen with has at least 5 years on her. She carries herself like she's older than she is even though she looks very youthful, which is just a confusing way of saying that she can play a variety of ages convincingly. She has a lot of Ellen Page energy. I think a lot of what I find intriguing about her is that I'm curious how she'll put it all together. She reminds me a lot of Rose Byrne in that way, who also had a period of figuring it out.

Buffaloed isn't Zoey Deutch's signature role or anything, but I liked her in it (probably more than the movie as a whole). She's a self-destructive con-artist type with a heart of...well, at least silver. Jimmy McGill and her would probably get along. They have a similar code of ethics and blind spots. Deutch doesn't hold anything back in this and feels like a believable huckster. She could be in an Ocean's movie with no trouble.

The movie itself is sort of Goodfellas meets The Big Short (better known as The Wolf of Wall Street). It leans heavily on Deutch's playful narration to explain things, which is necessary in order to fit that much plot in so little time but takes away from the movie for that exact reason. There's just too much happening. It covers her origin story, rise as a debt collector, war with other debt collectors, and redemptive con all in a little over 90 minutes. It's too much and the movie can't keep up. It relies on the fact that people are already familiar with the story arc of this kind of movie so it doesn't have to explain things. I'm not sure if I would've preferred a longer version of the same story or a movie that's the same length that doesn't try to cover as much. Because, I liked the length but thought it needed to flesh more out*.

*Yes, I am aware how close this is to the "the food was terrible and such small servings" critique.

Deutch does carry the movie effectively, although she gets some help from the supporting cast. You can never go wrong with Judy Greer in this kind of supporting role. She made me realize how much I wish would could go back and add her to Drop Dead Gorgeous. It was nice to see Noah Reid outside of Schitt's Creek. Does anyone give off better nice guy vibes than him? Jermaine Fowler is fine, I suppose, but his part is the first one I'd cut out. I still don't know what to do with Jai Courtney. He doesn’t work as a leading man and he isn't quite ready to be a character actor either. He's best as the heavy like in this, for now. It's a big performance. In an ideal world, his character would be a scene-stealer. Courtney steals no scenes though. He's not bad, just not a standout.

I wish I found the movie a little funnier. Deutch isn't quite able to spin gold out of straw. She can't make mediocre lines funny with her delivery alone. I do think that will come in time for her. Sooner than later even. Most of the jokes about the city of Buffalo felt like they were punching down more than I cared for. This is a perfectly decent movie though. More "comedy of good feelings" than laugh-out-loud funny. And, when it dips into more serious topics about predatory load collection, it's not overly self-righteous.

Side Note: Is this based on a true story? I haven't found anything saying it was, but the beats of the story sure feel like they're based on something true. If it isn't, then I wish they would've leaned away from that tone more.

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment