Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Delayed Reaction: The Secret Life of Pets

The Pitch: Pets have lives even when their owners are away.

This is an OK movie. The best animated movies tend to leave a little room for heart and the rest of the time is a showcase for all the jokes the writer(s) can come up with. In that respect, I have no complaints about The Secret Life of Pets. Like Zootopia, it's packed with in-jokes about different animals that mostly work. The voice cast is on-point. I would not have thought of Louis C.K. as the voice of Max yet it works surprisingly well. Kevin Hart , Eric Stonestreet, Jenny Slate, Ellie Kemper, Albert Brooks. It's hard to argue with that lineup.

I can't with this movie though. I just can't. I know it's silly and nonsensical, but I still spent the whole damn time figuring out the logistics of it. None of this world makes sense. Wouldn't the owner with the poodle get noise complaints from all the heavy metal music being played? What happens if the owners return before the pets are back in position? How does a bunny drive a car? Wouldn't hundreds of animals showing up on a bridge in New York City make national news or get the National Guard called? I know the point isn't to get caught up in that, but I couldn't help it. From a One Big Leap perspective, I couldn't process it all.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment