Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Delayed Reaction: The African Queen

The Pitch: Hepburn and Bogie on a boat for 105 minutes.

Katherine Hepburn. Humphrey Bogart.

That's all I needed to know. What I didn't realize is that it was a John Huston film and it won Bogart his only Oscar. In other words, this has all the credentials it needs. Following in the long tradition of the Oscars, this isn't the performance I'd've liked to see Bogart win the Oscar for (that would of course be Casablanca), but if it's the movie that finally made him "Oscar winner Humphrey Bogart", I'll take it. Hepburn was just as good but already had her first Oscar by then. It's interesting how she won three times in her last three at bats with the Academy, late in her career after a long cold streak. That's beside the point though.

I'm not sure that I agree with where AFI ranked the movie all-time in 1998 (#17) or even in 2007 (#65), but it was enjoyable. And, it had a scene with Bogart and Hepburn doing animal impressions/taunts. How can you hate that?

I feel like I need to see Romancing the Stone now.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment