Sunday, June 16, 2013

Movie Reaction: This Is The End

Formula: The humor of Superbad + the casting of Ocean's Eleven + the plot of Dogma + the Hollywood treatment of Tropic Thunder


Why I Saw It: Superbad is a top 5 movie for me, so I have been revved to see this since I first heard about it.

Cast: Primarily it's Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Frano, Craig Robinson, Danny McBride, and Jonah Hill playing themselves. All of them play the exact version of themselves you'd expect in a comedy. They poke fun at themselves a lot, so maybe that's something to entice people that balk at that list of actors. There's also great, small parts from Michael Cera, Emma Watson, and everyone else you've seen in a Judd Apatow movie (and couple others I'd like to leave as a surprise).

Plot: A bunch of actors try to coexist during the end of days. The biggest fear with this movie was going to be if all the good jokes are in the first half and it peters out at the end when it tries to come to terms with the story. I'll admit, the beginning certainly has more jokes per minute but some of the biggest laughs are at the end. I can safely say I was entertained start to finish. There's also a story as its backbone of friendship and growing apart which is a touch they didn't have to include. It's very secondary to the jokes however and that's a good thing because the jokes are so good. Also, despite how the plot plays out I don't think it's aiming for any sort of a religious message (more of a means to an ends, I'd say).

Elephant in the Room: Isn't this one, big Hollywood inside joke? Absolutely. I am a huge fan of all things Apatow (Knocked Up, Superbad, Freaks and Geeks, etc.). I've listen to all the commentaries and followed all their careers. I'm not sure how much of that informed my own enjoyment, but the laughs in the rest of the theater told me that the humor lands for pretty much anyone. It helps to remember who is in Pineapple Express and know some filmographys to get some of the jokes, but not necessary.

To Sum Things Up:
Unsurprisingly, this is my favorite movie of the year so far. It is shameless and crude, no doubt, so that should be considered before seeing it. If you are hopelessly determined to see this as man-child humor with no merit, then that's your choice. Personally, I love when you can tell how much fun people had when making a movie like this. It's why something like Ocean's Eleven has always been a favorite and this is in the same vein. People took pay cuts to be in this and lined-up to make fun of themselves and it's awesome to see egos left at the door like that. Simply put, this movie is a delight.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment