Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Trouble Sleeping

I don't know if it is because I am getting older or something, but I'm finding sleeping to be far more treacherous than it was when I was younger. All the time I'm waking up trying to figure out what I was doing while sleeping.

The other day I woke up. Apparently I was sleeping with my face on my hand. Messed up my left eye for half an hour. I thought I'd gone blind. I started thinking about what kind of eye patch I'd need to get and the best way to stop people from sneaking up on me with weak-side attacks. Thankfully it started clearing up about midway through my Lucky Charms, which was handy because I was not digging the whole messed up depth perception thing while trying to put a spoon in my mouth.

Occasionally my leg will cramp up while I'm asleep. I'm gonna put that up there with someone waking me up by hitting me in the balls. Waking up is bad enough. I don't need the confusion of feeling like my calf is tearing itself apart, And it's not like someone turning on a light, where you can pretend it doesn't bother you until it goes away. You have to react.

The most bothersome one was when my alarm started going off and I wake up with both my arms fallen asleep to my shoulders. I am literally swinging my limp, lifeless arms hoping one of them will land on the snooze button. The longer this takes, the louder the alarm gets and the more that I panic thinking I am going to wake someone up. No one else is home, but that's beside the point.

There's also the rare, but insufferable crease-face, you get from sleeping heavily and still for several hours. This is generally the result of those especially deep sleeps. The crease always goes away but only right before you have to see other people. So, it will hang with me all morning while I get ready. Then I start coming up with things to say to people about my weird crease-face only to find it go away before I have to explain it. This only serves to piss me off because I just wasted all morning coming up with jokes that I won't be able to use.

I don't remember having all this trouble when I was younger. Come to think of it, I didn't really have that problem until the end of college. I wonder why that is? Eh, some mysteries will never be solved.

1 comment: