Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Quick Reaction: Born into Brothels


I’ll admit that the title brought me to the movie. It’s an attention-grabbing title. I did think it would be more about the prostitution itself. Maybe even touch on human trafficking. Instead, it’s about the children of prostitutes in India. I think this movie was made with the best of intentions, but it felt exploitative to me. Like the movie is gawking at the kids in this situation. It looks tone deaf to see these kids in these bad situations and be like “I know what will help. I’ll teach them photography”. I know it’s not that simple. From everything I can see, the filmmaker, Zana Briski, has done good things for that community and doesn’t appear to have left them high and dry when she finished filming. I just couldn’t shake the “white savior” thoughts for this movie or shake the feeling that it was all being presented to make the kids’ situations look as bad as possible.
 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment