Monday, April 4, 2022

Delayed Reaction: 6 Underground

Premise: A group of 6 vigilantes who are presumed dead decide to topple a dictator.

 


Simply put, this is what people imagine when they say they dislike Michael Bay movies. It’s an explosion-filled action fest with characters so broadly shaped that they are known by numbers. I don’t hate Bay as a director. I stand by the first Transformers movie. I think when his films have a more nihilistic edge like Pain & Gain, they can be pretty good. At some point, he did get a little too focused on how he could deliver thrills at the expense of everything else though. That’s certainly the problem with 6 Underground. It practically starts in the middle of a long action set piece. I even wondered if I accidentally skipped past a part of exposition somewhere to let me know what was going on. I hadn’t. This movie just isn’t that concerned with plot.

 

I really don’t have much to say about the movie. It was a more earnest Ryan Reynolds mode than I prefer. The full cast felt a bit like Netflix did a study of all the markets they thought this movie could work in. They fact that Ben Hardy’s role didn’t go to an East Asian person is almost shocking. The end result of all that’s going on was too much to hold my interest. It’s the equivalent of if everyone is yelling at the same time, you actually don’t hear what any of them are saying. Except, this has the added wrinkle of “What if what each person was saying also wasn’t that interesting?”

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment