Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Quick Reaction: You Won’t Be Alone


This is a movie that actually suffered from me knowing too little about it going in. It’s about a witch in Macedonia who disguises herself to live among local villagers. I kept expecting it to have more of an edge than it did though. I was expecting the villagers to turn on her or something dark and twisted to happen. Instead, it’s pretty mild. The fact that the main character is a witch is just an excuse for her to take over the bodies of several people. The movie is way more about what it is to be human. The lead character never actually speaks. There’s just narration throughout, poetically musing. Had I been ready for something closer to a Terence Mallick movie, I think I would’ve enjoyed this more. Instead, I went into it like an arty horror movie, which this is not. Also, don’t be fooled by Noomi Rapace and Alice Englert in the credits. Rapace is barely in the movie. Englert is in it more, but she never speaks. That shouldn’t be a surprise. I wouldn’t have expected Rapace or Englert to learn Macedonian.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment