Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Delayed Reaction: The Quiet Ones

Premise: A group led by a scientist research possible paranormal occurrences caused by a young woman.

 


On a basic level, this is the movie I assumed it would be. Sam Claflin is present but not memorable. Like usual, I spent most of the movie saying "I don't think that's Sam Claflin, but it's someone that certainly looks a lot like him". Jarred Harris is an educated British man who is probably a villain in some way. Olivia Cooke is a disinterested youth. It's got some Conjuring vibes with the 1970s setting. It's not a great movie, but it's the movie I signed up for. Hard to be too negative about that.

 

This is the kind of movie where I didn't exactly predict the twists, but they all were obvious nonetheless*. For example, Jane actually being Evey. I mean, her name is Jane Harper. It might as well be Jane Doe. She has a mysterious past. Whatever the explanation for the occurrences would be, I was pretty sure she'd be at the center of them. And she was. The same goes for the revelation about Harris' son. So, the thrills in this movie were pretty low.

 

*Remember, I'm the guy who gives in depth examinations of Oscar picks, how they could win, and why they could fail, yet I rarely pick the right Best Picture winner. I know all the scenarios. I'm bad at making the single right pick. Either way, it's hard to surprise me.

 

I do like the idea of an evil force getting summoned and doing some body hopping. It's unfortunate that I watched At the Devil's Door just a couple days before, which is largely about the same thing and found a cleverer way to tell the story. This is still just good enough, mostly thanks to a strong cast. And the 70s setting gives it some much needed flavor. I liked how they found ways to mix the 8mm footage into this. That gave it sound found-footage vibes.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment