Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Quick Reaction: The Vanishing Prairie


There's not a lot to say here. It probably ended up on my watchlist due to an Academy Award Documentary nomination or a National Board of Review Documentary list. Disney made many of these nature documentaries and they are what they are. This is a kid-friendly attempt to make prairie wildlife interesting without getting into too many thorny topics. It does a good job of narrativizing the collection of footage of buffalo, coyotes, prairie dogs, badgers and more. It has uncommon distinction of being a movie that both put me to sleep and had me unable to take my eyes away from it. That coyote trying to get the prairie dog was riveting stuff, yet I struggled to stay awake after 10 minutes about prairie dogs. I also had to remind myself a few times that this was shot in the US. I'm too used to squirrels and chipmunks as the only wildlife in this country. I'm sure I'll check a few more of these docs out. They are barely an hour.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment