Monday, January 11, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Live and Let Die

Premise: James Bond gets caught up in a drug trafficking plot that links Harlem to the Caribbean.

 


I'm by no means a 007 scholar, but more than any other Bond movie I've seen, Live and Let Die feels like Bond stepped into someone else's movie. Between the blaxploitation elements and the boat chase fresh out of the Dukes of Hazard, it's like the filmmakers thought that casting a new Bond (Roger Moore) meant they had to rethink what a James Bond movie should be. That was a misfire. While I'm even less of an expert on Blaxploitation, I don't think those movies and characters work as well when it's a white protagonist at the center. That just makes it exploitation, right? That said, it does give this Bond movie and interesting flavor that I haven't seen in any of the other movies. The Caribbean setting is a nice change of pace. It's fun to see Bond vs. Voodoo.

 

One thing about this movie that's unimpeachable is the title song. That's a banger. I love how often it's used throughout the movie. That alone knocks it up a few spots in the Bond movie rankings. Another aspect of the movie that works is Jane Seymour. Yes, her psychic role is a little silly. I'm really just referring to 1973 Jane Seymour. Like, she still looked good circa Wedding Crashers or Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, but I hadn't even seen her in this era. Wow.
This is my first Roger Moore Bond film*. I'm not ready to weigh in on him in the age-old debate. He seems like a fine Bond though. Connery is Bond. I have an age-appropriate fondness for Piece Brosnan in the role. Daniel Craig has made a name for himself in the role. I won't mind following Moore for 6 more films though.

 

*I know. I know. It's embarrassing how behind I am on Bond movies. I'm working on that now.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment