Monday, September 16, 2019

Movie Reaction: It: Chapter II


Formula: It + 27 Years

I again need to begin this with the disclaimer that I've never read the book or seen the Tim Curry mini-series, so I won't be speaking it terms of a comparison. I have no idea what they changed for the movie, nor do I care to know whether something I liked or disliked was a strength or problem in the book.

It: Chapter I was a perfect storm kind of movie. It played into nostalgia. It had great hook and immediately identifiable imagery. WB/New Line found a nice unclaimed part of the calendar to release it on. When it ended its run as the highest grossing R-rated Horror movie ever*, I wasn't surprised.

*To be clear, it is nowhere close to The Exorcist adjusted for inflation. The Exorcist made nearly 3 times as much by that measure and is one of the 10 highest grossing movies ever.

Another advantage of Chapter I ties into one of my common points about horror movies: Horror works in the discovery phase, not the resolution. It's easy to scare people when they don't know what's going on. When they get the gist of it, scares are much harder. That's why horror sequels are never as good. The two It movies break the story in half. The discovery is all in Chapter I. The resolution is all in Chapter II. So, if you want to rate them as horror movies, It: Chapter I is much better than It: Chapter II.

That leads me to my main point: It: Chapter II is an adventure movie with some horror elements. That's how I'm going to rate it and look at it. Because, as a horror movie, it's pretty underwhelming. The scares have no stakes and rely on all the same tricks as the first movie.

Chapter II picks up 27 years after the first movie. Mike (Isaiah Mustafa) is the only member of the group still living in Derry. It turns out that once anyone leaves Derry, they forget about everything that happened there (a clever and incredibly convenient story device). So, we catch up with everyone else (who are all incredibly successful in that way that groups of friends in movies always are - Seriously, where's the guy who grows up to be a plumber living in the suburbs?). Mike calls them to return since the clown is back. They don't actually remember anything about Pennywise until they gather for a dinner in Derry. While everyone else was able to forget, Mike has spent the last 27 years preparing for this, studying legends, news, and artifacts for how to kill Pennywise. So, everyone has to collect some token from their childhood about a time they'd rather forget. They have to each be alone for this for some reason, and each token comes with a scary flashback with Pennywise. Once they get their scares and their token, they have to meet up for some ceremony that's supposed to kill Pennywise.

This movie is the definition of "plot for the sake of plot". It's nearly three hours long, because it's determined to do everything 6 times: once for each character. The logic of Pennywise's actions doesn't make much sense. Sometimes he's an actual threat and other times it's all in their head. This only bothered me because it was nearly three hours long. A two hour movie with redundant plotting I'm ready for. Nearly three hours: that's just excessive.

I actually did enjoy the movie, except for the nearly three hour run time. The adult cast was nice. Jessica Chastain and Jame McAvoy are welcome in any movie I watch. Bill Hader and James Ransome got in some jokes. I was struck by home much Jay Ryan really did look like a handsome, grown-up Jeremy Ray Taylor. Isaiah Mustafa is fine, but the movie completely fails him. He's arguably the most key character, yet the movie is happy to forget about him for long stretches. He barely gets any interiority. The movie is good at deflating itself when needed. The way kids handle being scared is much different than adults. Adults are much more ready to poke holes and reflect on the absurdity. Chapter II understands that. There are plenty of flashbacks to the gang as kids too, which I appreciated. The kid cast is way more fun. I like how, since everyone has essentially forgotten their childhood, the way the adult group acts is often like children. I don't think I've ever enjoyed myself as an adult as much as they do at the dinner in the beginning before the topic of Pennywise comes up. They are still making "your mom" jokes and bickering. There's something charming about it.

It was also refreshing to see an expensive horror-adjacent movie. Horror generally goes small both as a budgetary constraint and because of diminishing returns. It: Chapter II feels big. It's polished. It frames shots like they are important. It trades off scares for gravitas. I appreciate that pivot.

One Last Thought: Was anyone else turned off by the opening scene? The only actual purpose of the scene was to reintroduce Pennywise. I don't see why they had to make it such an ugly gay-bashing scene. There's nothing particularly scary about the scene. It's just getting an easy audience reaction. If anyone can express why that scene bothered me so much, please explain.

Another Last Thought: I kind of hated how the movie tried to be "in" on the joke about the ending. A running gag is how James McAoy's books have bad endings. That's a joke about Stephen King's books and, I assume, about the book It specifically. My guess is the movie ends differently than the book in some way. I realize this is supposed to be a fun way for King and the movie to poke fun at him/itself, but it struck me more as trying to get out ahead of criticism. Movies and shows often have trouble using meta-references correctly. Increasingly, "going meta" has been used as a way to get out ahead of criticism by saying "it supposed to be bad, and since we did it on purpose, that means it's good." That's not how it works. Sorry.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment