Friday, September 27, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Apollo 11


The Pitch: So, they filmed a bunch of really nice footage for the Apollo 11 mission, then didn't bother to use a lot of it.

A documentary using actual footage from Apollo 11 to tell the story of going to the moon and back.

With the 50th anniversary of the Moon landing this year, I'm getting some space overload. I rewatched The Right Stuff recently. I watched HBO's From the Earth to the Moon when they made that available. First Man was less than a year ago. Apollo 11 is sort of the closing act before my space interest goes on hiatus*. Watching it at home, I immediately regretted not seeing it in theaters on a big screen.

*That's probably a lie. I'm already thinking things like "Maybe I need to reconsider Interstellar" and I'm certain to rewatch The Martian for the umpteenth time before long.

The footage they found for this is incredible. It captures the overwhelming size of everything involved. The opening shot is them moving the space shuttle into position and I almost couldn't believe how big everything looked. I'm so used to seeing the distant shot of the shuttle or the extreme close up. I never get a sense of perspective like this. The more I learn about the Apollo missions, the more amazed I am that they succeeded in their mission. Just as important though is all the footage of the people. I love when proper film is used for documentary film footage. It makes everything come alive and feel real. I wasn't alive during the Moon Landing. I know logically that everything then was just as real as everything is now. But I rarely see footage that makes it look real, and not like a memory. This documentary grounds everything and makes it tactile.

After the shuttle launch, the movie does have trouble maintaining its momentum. The footage understandably isn't as good. The actual mission is pretty dull. It's still good, but it's not as good.

The lack of narration is a smart move. It makes everything come alive more. However, that does make the movie a little harder to follow if you aren't already familiar with some of the specifics of the mission.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment