Thursday, May 2, 2019

May Movie Preview


Has May been left behind?

For the last 20 years, May has been the unofficial start of the Summer movie season. Or more specifically, the first weekend of May has marked the beginning. It started with The Mummy's big opening in 1999, but really, it was Spider-Man in 2002 obliterating the opening weekend box office record on that first weekend in May that changed things. Before that, the Summer season started more nebulously, sometimes Memorial Day weekend or even into June. Since then, Marvel in particular has staked a claim to that first May weekend to open the first big hit of the Summer (Spider-Man, X2, Spider-Man 3, Iron Man, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Iron Man 2, Thor, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2). Every studio would take the next weekend off, except for some counter-programming releases, then that third weekend, more potential blockbusters would start popping up before a crowded Memorial Day weekend. June and July were still bigger overall, but May felt like an intergral part of the Summer box office season. Well, thanks to the success from early releases of Fast and Furious movies in April, Marvel tried out releasing Avengers: Infinity War in April last year. It made more than any of the May releases ever had, so they moved Avengers: Endgame into late April as well. Now May is a month without an anchor. May 2019 still looks plenty busy. There are plenty of second tier blockbuster types* being released (Detective Pikachu, John Wick 3). Disney is still determined to get a Memorial Day hit, despite their awful luck in that spot**. So, I'm looking forward to this May but not with the same excitement that I used to have.

*"Second tier" refers to their box office potential, not their quality.

**A quick refresher.
Memorial Day Weekend 2018: Solo: A Star Wars Story opened with $103 million on a massive $275 million budget that was probably even more than that.
Memorial Day Weekend 2017: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales opened with only $62 million despite carrying a $230 million budget.
Memorial Day Weekend 2016: Alice Through The Looking Glass opened in 2nd with only $26 million despite costing $170 million.
Memorial Day Weekend 2015: Tomorrowland opened at $33 million against a $190 million production cost.

As is my new format, here are the top 10 May releases I'm looking forward to. Then at the end, I'll add a quick thought or two about all the other nationwide releases this month, because I never pass up a chance to give an uneducated take about a movie.

1. Booksmart (May 24th)
Two graduating high school girls realize they did nothing with their high school years and decide to make up for that over one crazy night.
Working For It: This is girl Superbad. Yes, yes, yes! I'm all in! I'm a fan of Kaitlyn Dever (Justified) and Beanie Feldstein (Lady Bird, Neighbors 2) in everything I've seen them in. They would be great in a buddy comedy. Since I heard about this after Sundance, it's been the movie I've been looking forward to the most (behind Star Wars, of course).
Working Against It: I'm slightly concerned about Olivia Wilde as a director. This is her first feature film. She doesn't have much history working behind the scenes (In terms of credits, at least). More importantly, her history as a performer doesn't feature much comedy. Even in a comedy movie/show, she's never been the one driving the comedy. This may not be a problem at all. From everything I've heard, this is great. This just isn't the kind of movie I'd expect from her in her debut.

2. Long Shot (May 3rd)
A Secratary for State running for President falls for the man she used to babysit: a journalist she hires to be her speechwriter.
Working For It: This has been billed as an inverted Pretty Woman, which my gut tells me is a misrepresentation. What I do expect is that Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron will be funny playing off each other, and the supporting cast will make me laugh too.
Working Against It: I'm mixed on director Jonathan Levine. I loved 50/50 and The Night Before. I hated Snatched. I was underwhelmed by Warm Bodies. In other words, I like when he works with Seth Rogen, so hopefully this keeps that pattern going.

John Wick tries to stay alive with a world of assassins after him.
Working For It: It's a simple formula: Keanu Reeves fights a bunch of assassins in creative and entertaining ways. The execution of these stunt sequences are top notch. The cast is fun and eclectic. These aren't deep movies, nor do they need to be.
Working Against It: The escalation from 1 to 2 diluted the formula some. Chapter 3 may do so as well. At what point do they get too bloated?

4. Detective Pikachu (May 10th)
A talking Pikachu in a noir mystery tries to find the boy her belongs to.
Working For It: Until I'm sitting in the theater watching it, I'm going to think this movie is one elaborate hoax. Everything about it - "live-action" Pokemon, a Pokemon detective story, Ryan Reynolds voicing a sarcastic Pikachu, a talking Pikachu - is just weird enough to work.
Working Against It: As I said, I don't know that I believe this movie exists. That also means I'm immediately suspicious about if it could work or not. The director isn't responsible for any movies I've liked very much. Also, holy shit! 13 writing credits listed on IMDB. Even subtracting all the creator credits for the game and animated series, that's 4 writers with separate credits.

5. Tolkien [Limited] (May 10th)
A biopic about the life of J.R.R. Tolkien.
Working For It: Much like Goodbye Christopher Robin, I'll be seeing this for the cast; namely, Nicholas Hoult and Lily Collins. It's a Fox Searchlight movie. I generally trust that brand. And I'm curious how much this will visually reference the Lord of the Rings movies. Based on the trailer, it looks like the answer is "a lot".
Working Against It: The release date tells me that Fox Searchlight realized it wouldn't be an awards player. I don't know the director or writers from much of anything.

6. Aladdin (May 24th)
A live-action Adaptation of Aladdin.
Working For It: Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Maleficent, The Jungle Book. Disney has done well with these live-action adaptations. Aladdin is perhaps the most action-packed option they have. Director Guy Richie has his problems, but action normally isn't one of them. Done right, this could be quite thrilling.
Working Against It: I'm not against Will Smith as the Genie on principle. I don't get the fuss about the footage they've released so far. (So what if he's blue). I just worry that this version won't account for how much of the original worked because of Robin Williams. That is the quintissential Robin Williams performance and it provided a perfect counter-balance for the action and the romance. If this movie fails, I think a lot of it will fall on Smith, just because he'll be asked to do too much. I'm optimistic about the movie though.

7. The Hustle (May 10th)
Two female hustlers team up for a big con.
Working For It: I'm on an Anne Hathaway high after how terrific she was in Ocean's Eight last year. She can bring a lot of that to this performance, which is great. Rebel Wilson tends to be as good as her co-star is at matching her energy. I think Hathaway is a good match. This is an adaptation of the Steve Martin/Michael Caine movie Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, which I really like. Oh, and the director of this previously directed episodes of both Veep and The Thick of It. I'm optimistic that this will hit the right tone.
Working Against It: No one here is without blemishes. Rebel Wilson can trample over a weak director. Anne Hathaway has been known to go too big. This is the director's first feature film and the writer is suspiciously green. These mid-May comedies every year are a mixed bag. Sometimes they're Snatched. Other times they're Pitch Perfect 2.

8. Brightburn (May 24th)
An alien child mysteriously lands near a farm and is adopted by the couple who lives there. As he grows up, it's clear that something isn't right with him. He's dangerous, but to whom?
Working For It: I like the idea of "what is the worst case-scenario for the Superman origin?" This is being heavily advertised using James Gunn's name. While he only produced the movie, it looks like it was made by a bunch of his friends and family. I assume this is not a name-only producer credit. This is an exciting leading role for Elizabeth Banks who, despite being in virtually all TV shows and movies for 2 decades, doesn't have a lot of good lead roles. This looks fun and creepy and scary.
Working Against It: Fair or not, I keep thinking back to Midnight Special from a couple years ago. That was also a dark and mysterious movie revolving around a yound child with powers. It underwhelmed me, so now I'm suspicious of this one.

9. All Is True [Limited] (May 10th)
The retirement years of William Shakespeare.
Working For It: At this point, Kenneth Brannaugh is leaning into how people look at him anyway. He's played virtually every Shakespeare protagonist at this point. He even played Sir Laurence Olivier in a movie: a man who built a career in largely the same way as Brannaugh. Playing Shakespeare in a movie is only natural. And I'm not against the idea of him playing off Judi Dench and Ian McKellen for 90 minutes.
Working Against It: This was a dark horse Oscar candidate last year that they delayed until now. That normally indicates the studio didn't have faith in it. I worry that this is going to be high-minded literary fan fiction that will only appeal to the most diehard Shakespeare fans.

10. Ad Astra (May 24th)
Some sort of SciFi movie with Brad Pitt.
Working For It: Seriously, as of 4/25/19, I couldn't find a trailer for a nationwide release, starring Brad Pitt, being release by a major studio. I mean, they have my attention. I'm very curious. I'd like to know what it is.
Working Against It: Beyond Brad Pitt, this is a complete unknown. Literally everything could be working against it as I learn more.
Well, this isn't at all surprising. Ad Astra has been abruptly removed from the schedule. No release date has been set yet.

Other Nationwide Releases
Uglydolls (May 3rd)
An animated movie about ugly dolls is some sort of doll factory where there's a talent competition, or something. All I know is that Kelly Clarkson (she's so nice) has the lead role and several songs, so I'll be seeing this, even though I have no excitment for the movie.

El Chicano (May 3rd)
A latino cop becomes a street vigilante when the regular law enforcement isn't enough. The fact that I've heard nothing about this before now is why I won't be checking it out. However, I do like Raul Castillo.

The Intruder (May 3rd)
A young couple is terrorized by the man who used to live in the house they just bought in this very on-brand ScreenGems thriller. I do like Megan Good, and Dennis Quaid is delightfully overqualified as the menacing neighbor. So, that's something in its favor.

Poms (May 10th)
Women at a retirement home start a cheerleading team in this spiritual sequel to last year's Book Club. I'm not the target audience, but I do like the idea of a lot of older actresses that Hollywood has mostly left behind (Diane Keaton, Pam Grier, Jacki Weaver, etc.) getting a nationwide release like this.

A Dog's Journey (May 17th)
A direct sequel to A Dog's Purpose that abandons all pretense of plausibility. Who am I kidding? I'll probably see this and complain about it for being exactly the kind of emotionally manipulative movie I expected.

A young woman falls for a boy right before she's set to be deported. It's a YA drama that I have no desire to see, but I'm totally fine if this is the first step to Yara Shahidi becoming a star.

No comments:

Post a Comment