Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2018 TV Shows: Top 10, Bottom 10, and Everything In Between

It's that time of year again. 2018 has ended. Before I get into 2019, I need to take a look back at the best 2018 had to offer on TV. Or, rather, the best of 2018 that I had time to watch. We are in an era of Peak TV*. According to FX's tracking, this year 495 scripted series aired on networks, cable, or streaming services. That's an all-time high, although the year-to-year increase has slowed down a bit. So, it's impossible to see everything or even anything approaching everything. A 'Best TV' list is becoming like a 'Best Albums' list: if I've even seen one in a list of ten, I get excited. Year-to-year, I'm holding steady. I watched 67 series that aired in 2018. That's the same as in 2017. While I keep adding to my yearly movie total, it's hard to fit much more into my TV schedule. One thing that's nice is that this is the first year that I really didn't have a show I hated that I stayed up with. I keep up with a few out of stubbornness more than enjoyment, but I still like them well enough. There isn't much in the "keeping up with the pop culture discussion" category either. I have a bottom 10 this year, but you'll see that I'm not all that low on them.

*A funny title, given that every year since FX chief John Landgraf coined it, there's been more shows than the year before.

This is the first time in a while that my top show for the year wasn't obvious. Or, at least, it's the first year in which my top tier wasn't obvious. Normally, to come up with my list, I have a head-to-head sorting program, that keeps making me pick between two shows until it has figured out an order. I might tinker with a position or two after that, but otherwise, I stick with those results. It's a good way to weed out outside influences of what "should" be at the top. I did that this year, and the further along I went, the results just didn't look right. I was getting shows in my top 3 that I didn't even think would be in my top 10. So, I tried a couple other manual sorting methods and kept coming up with similar, if not identical, results. In other words, this is the most surprising list I've had in a while, although you will see many familiar titles from previous years. I think part of my confusion is simply that the number of my favorite shows has dwindled without obvious replacements. The Leftovers loomed large for a few years. Veep has been a staple for several seasons and took a break in 2018. Parks and Rec and 30 Rock are long gone. Even my darlings that almost no one watched like Rectify and Review aren't around anymore.

In this Peak TV era, I've started to notice a slow decline in quality at the extremes. There are fewer A or A+ shows and an unbelievable number of A- or B+ shows. The freedom afforded to creators and showrunners has increased the diversity of ideas, structures, and representation in a way that we've never seen before. The problem is that it has diluted the talent pool. Shows that would've had 2 or 3 writers on staff capable of being showrunners or head writers may only have 1 or 2 now. Or, more people are working on multiple shows and getting less time to recharge themselves. It's great to see people getting more work, but it's kind of like the Beatles after they broke up. All of them individually made some good music, but none of them alone could reach the height of the Beatles together.

This is all a long-winded way of saying that my list this year is deep overall, but a little weak at the top. On average though, it was a great year in TV.

Top 10
1. The Good Place (Seasons 2-3)
Previous Rank: #5 - 2017, #19 - 2016
Favorite Episode: Janet(s)
I really didn't expect to see The Good Place here. I didn't realize it was my favorite show for the year. Maybe I'm hesitant to be that predictable: picking another Michael Schur show at the top. And do you ever notice how critics' Top 10 lists almost never put comedies at the top? I succumb to that line of thinking sometimes.
But, at the end of the day, follow the joy. Week to week, what is the show I look forward to watching the most when there's a new episode? In 2018, that's The Good Place. Plain and simple. It has the best core cast on TV. It's hard to even pick an MVP. Ted Danson is a legend, Manny Jacinto is outright hilarious. Kristen Bell quietly holds everything together. D'Arcy Carden keeps finding new ways to milk comedy out of what started as explicitly a non-character. William Jackson Harper and Jameela Jamil have moment of brilliance too. The real reason this is here though, like another show in my top 10, is because I never know what's in store for the next episode. Michael Schur and his staff churn through story at a ridiculous rate. It's quietly one of the smartest comedies on TV while never letting that get in the way of the jokes. 2018 included a strong run of episodes to end the second season at the beginning of the year, and it ended 2018 on the strongest possible note: the episode "Janet(s)". In addition to being a tour de force performance by D'Arcy Carden, the episode was dense with jokes and bureaucracy and found yet another new direction to bring this wacky story in. I don't know how long Schur and company can keep this up, but it's breathtaking while it lasts.
[Find it on Netflix...eventually]

2. The Americans (Season 6)
Previous Rank: #9 - 2017, #2 - 2016, #6 - 2015, #7 - 2014, #14 - 2013
Favorite Episode: START
I began to worry about the story of deep-cover Russian spies Elizabeth and Phillip after last season seemed to delay everything for the final season, leaving a lot of pressure on this season to deliver... And did it ever. Not in a big, Game of Thrones kind of way. That was never what this show was about. That series finale has stuck with me like few others, including an all-time heartbreaking music cue. But that whole season was filled with great moments. Remember Phillip line-dancing or Elizabeth discussing classic French heist films? This is one hell of a cast. Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys, and Noah Emmerich are exceptional. Holly Taylor has made one of the great child actor leaps. Even Keidrich Sellati, playing the ignored son Henry, had some good moments. I worried early where the season was going. By the end, those concerns were all gone. The Americans cemented itself as one of the greats.

[Find it on Amazon Prime]

3. Better Call Saul (Season 4)
Previous Rank: #3 - 2017, #9 - 2016, #22 - 2015
Favorite Episode: Something Stupid
I know, I know. Picking Better Call Saul is so predictable. Gushing about a Vince Gilligan show* is like praising the latest Coen Brothers movie. It's almost lazy. It's such a good show though. I barely even think about it as a Breaking Bad prequel anymore. I watch it as a tragic romance or the story of a man worn down by the low expectations people have of him. And that's only the Bob Odenkirk/Rhea Seehorn half of the show. There's a whole other half about Mike Ehrmantraut (Jonathan Banks) negotiating the conflicts between his own personal code and his role in Gus Fring's (Giancarlo Esposito) criminal empire. It was a shame seeing Michael Mando's Nacho pushed more to the background, but it meant even more Rhea Seehorn, which I'll never complain about. It turns out that losing Michael McKean from the regular cast didn't hurt the quality one iota. The opening montage of "Something Stupid" is one of my favorite scenes or sequences of 2018. I'm so worried about Kim Wexler. I just want her to be happy.
[Find it on Netflix...eventually]

*It should be noted that Peter Gould co-created the show and took over showrunning duties almost completely this year.

4. American Vandal (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #10 - 2017
Favorite Episode: The Brownout
I liked season 1 of this wonderful mockumentary series even more than season 2. Last year, I should've ranked the show higher. I was embarrassed by how much I liked it. Not anymore. I was really underwhelmed by season 2 when I first saw it. So much so, that I rewatched it within a week after binging it the night it premiered. I wasn't ready for this season to not be quite as funny (except, of course, for the wild, season-opening Brownout). It was also a shame that Peter and Sam (Tyler Alvarez and Griffin Gluck) weren't as personally invested in this case. Instead, this season went to a darker place and had some pretty profound things to say about millenials and social media without resorting to the same lazy criticisms other shows do. I will miss this show greatly, even though I fear it had nowhere to go but down.
[Find it on Netflix]

5. Atlanta (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #6 - 2016
Favorite Episode: Teddy Perkins
On The Good Place, I never know where the story is going next. On Atlanta, I never know that or even where an episode is going to begin. Every episode is an experiment and can find a new way to surprise me. Even though Donald Glover is the Emmy-winning star and, in my opinion, a generational talent, it doesn't even matter who leads an episode. Having Brian Tyree Henry, Lakeith Stanfield, and Zazie Beets in the supporting cast is an embarrassment of riches. "Teddy Perkins" is an all-time great episode of any series, and I wasn't even sure if it was my favorite episode of this season. That's how great the show was in season 2. Putting it fifth seems too low.
[Find it on Hulu...eventually]

6. Killing Eve (Season 1)
Favorite Episode: I have a Thing About Bathrooms
God damn this show was fun. I ignored it when it first premiered. Another show about a serial killer didn't excite me. As the popularity grew though, I decided to try it out and I was instantly hooked. Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer are perfect adversaries. Creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge infuses the show with so much playful electricity and dark humor that it's easy to see why it's so addictive. I have no confidence that the show can keep it up in a second season (because it's unfair to expect that for any series), but I'm more than happy to go along for the ride while it lasts.

[Find it on Hulu]

7. BoJack Horseman (Season 5)
Previous Rank: #11 - 2017, #5 - 2016
Favorite Episode: Free Churro
If you don't accept by now that BoJack Horseman is simultaneously the silliest and saddest show on the air, then I don't know what to tell you. This season was as good as ever, even if it wasn't as fresh as previous seasons. By far my favorite episode was "Free Churro", an episode length eulogy by Bojack drawn as a single-take, despite the fact that in animation, making something look like a single shot isn't any harder that normal. That episode  gave me the biggest, longest, and most unexpected laugh of the season. It was something special. I doubt you can find a show as dense with visual gags. And it has the ability to turn a dumb, multi-episode gag like Todd's sex robot into a savvy commentary on sexual harassment in the workplace. It's a show full of surprises.
[Find it on Netflix]

Favorite Episode: Part 3
I wasn't familiar with the Rajineeshpuram community before watching this Netflix documentary series. Now I'm terrified by the story, and of one of 2018's breakout characters, Ma Anand Sheela. In six parts, this series documents the rise and fall of the Oregon cult brilliantly. After I started it, I didn't want to turn it off. I lost a lot of sleep that night. With each chapter, the story got stranger and more unbelievable. By the time I finished, my biggest question was how I'd never heard of this before? Is there really not a David Fincher movie or Errol Morris documentary about them out there?*
[Find it on Netflix]

*I didn't research this question at all. There probably is something else out there. Whatever it is though, it wasn't high profile enough for me to be aware of it.

9. Brooklyn Nine Nine (Season 5)
Previous Rank: #8 - 2017, #8 - 2016, #12 - 2015, #4 - 2014, #18 - 2013
Favorite Episode: The Box
Only 11 episodes aired in 2018, but they were exceptional episodes. The year began with "Safe House", which included one of the best payoffs to a joke this year in the final moments of the episode. That was followed by the return of the Pontiac Bandit. Then right after that was "The Box": a bottle episode that was a direct homage to a classic Andre Braugher episode of Homicide: Life on the Streets. That's a hell of an opening salvo. It didn't need any episodes this Fall to secure a place in the top 10. The fact that Andre Braugher doesn't have a Jeremy Piven-esque stack of Emmys for his character is just silly.
[Find it on Hulu]

10. Barry (Season 1)
Favorite Episode: Chapter Seven: Loud, Fast, and Keep Going
Barry didn't turn out to be the comedy I thought it would be. Instead, it was even better. Bill Hader and Henry Winkler earned very deserved Emmys. This seris took the idea of a hitman-turned-actor seriously. I'm still shook from Hader's work in the season's penultimate episode. For such a funny guy, Hader is able to play it straight so well. Any laughs he gets are almost accidental. But there's still rooms for laughs. Anthony Carrigan's No-Ho Hank was one of 2018's more reliable joke machines and, between his moments of desperation, Winkler's Gene Cousoneau reminded everyone why he's a legend. I can't wait to see where things go in season 2.
[Find it on HBO Now]

The Other Top 10
11. It's Always Sunny (Season 13)
Previous Rank: #5 - 2012
Favorite Episode: The Gang Makes Paddy's Great Again
I've missed this show. Thanks to the move to FXX, which I didn't have until this year, I haven't been able to include Sunny in my year-end list for a long time. Well, it's back now and it has no business still being this good after 13 seasons. Fit Mac may not be the endless source of jokes that Fat Mac was seven years ago, but they still got plenty of mileage out of it. It's Always Sunny is always inventive (this season included a deranged take on Home Alone, a blunt examination of Hollywood's female reboot trend, and a season-ending interpretive dance sequence played completely straight), and in its old age, it's even reflective, playing on its own legacy. I hope it never ends, even though I know it must.

[Find it on Hulu...eventually]

12. Speechless (Seasons 2-3)
Previous Rank: #19 - 2017, #38 - 2016
Favorite Episode: L-O-N-- LONDON: Part 1 & 2
"Best ABC Comedy" is a constantly rotating title and Speechless has earned it for now. It's reached that sweet spot where it's confident but not yet stale. Minnie Driver is a force to be reckoned with. John Ross Bowie and Cedric Yarbrough handle themselves with the ease of the comedy veterans they are. And the child cast is uniformly strong. I'm continually surprised by how developed JJ's character is, regardless of who is reading his lines. The fact that that never gets confusing is impressive. Anyone who isn't checking out the non-Modern Family ABC family comedies is missing out.
[Find it on Hulu]

13. The Middle (Season 9)
Previous Rank: #21 - 2017, #12 - 2016, #13 - 2015, #10 - 2014, #11 - 2013
Favorite Episode: Toasted
The Middle is an All-Time great series in my opinion. It ended a little weak, but I'm not missing my last chance to tell people to watch it. It's a comfort food show that navigated the aging of the children as well as any series ever has. Patricia Heaton was better than her Emmy winning work in Everybody Loves Raymond. Neil Flynn was lethally laconic until the very end. Eden Sher's Sue is one of TV's All-Time great optimists until the very end. Atticus Shaffer turned a collection of ticks into a well-rounded person. And, Charlie McDermott's Axl managed to grow up without changing his entire personality the way oldest sons often do in sitcoms (I'm looking at you, Mike Seaver). I'm going to miss this show so much.
[Find it...somewhere]

14. Last Week Tonight (Season 5)
Previous Rank: #16 - 2017, #16 - 2016, #14 - 2015, #11 - 2014
Favorite Episode: Drain the Swamp
Always informative. Always funny. John Oliver and his staff's penchant for long-con jokes. His work with Russell Crowe's jock-strap from Cinderella Man, hidden Scientology plugs, and Presidential wax figures brought me countless laughs. And remember when he made a children's book about Mike Pence's dog? Who does that? The thoroughness of his bits is often jaw-dropping. Every year, I debate if I should include this show in my year-end list, because it's so much different than everything else. I always come back to the laughs though. The informative deep-dives into often under-covered topics are nice, but it's appointment viewing because it makes me laugh like few other shows.
[Find it on HBO Now]

15. GLOW (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #29 - 2017
Favorite Episode: The Good Twin
One of the purely enjoyable binges of the TV season. I think I actually spread it out to an entire weekend this year instead of a single sitting. Alison Brie and Betty Gilpin continue to be as great as ever. As the rest of the ensemble gets fleshed out, the show gets even stronger. With the league established, this season got to focus even more on the wrestling fun. The fake episode of the GLOW wrestling program, "The Good Twin", was pure fun. The Tamme spotlight episode "Mother of All Matches" was surprisingly moving. At some point it'll even stop being surprising that Marc Maron can really act.
[Find it on Netflix]

16. The Deuce (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #17 - 2017
Favorite Episode: The Feminism Part
It's unfair for any show to live in the shadow of The Wire. It's doubtful that any show, even a David Simon show, will pull off the necessary balance of that spiralling narrative. The Deuce does a damn fine job getting close to it though. Like all David Simon shows, it's two steps forward and two steps back for all the characters. No happy ending comes without consequences. The through line of Candy making "Red Hot" gave this season some much needed focus. Maggie Gyllenhaal really is the heart of the series. I hope she gets a happy ending. Everyone else - eh - I'm fine with how things go for them either way. One of the best things I can say about James Franco's performance is that I don't spend the scenes with his two characters together trying to figure out how they did that or looking for the seams.
[Find it on HBO Now]
Favorite Episode: N/A
ESPN released this massive 20 hour documentary about the history of basketball quietly this Fall. It's far from perfect. I know I have some opinions about things they left out, but for anyone with affection about basketball in any form, it's a must-watch, thanks to the breadth of topics and variety of interviews. Hell, even if you don't like basketball, it's still enjoyably informative. It is strongest at the beginning. There are chunks of basketball history that are often overlooked. The pre-Bill Russell era and really the entirety of the 1970s NBA get a lot of time devoted to them in this. Sadly, this does come at the expense of any college basketball stories later than 1995.
[Find it...somewhere]

Previous Rank: #18 - 2017
Favorite Episode: Vote for Kennedy, Vote for Kennedy
I can't say this about many shows, but the biggest problem I have about MMM is that it doesn't have enough episodes. Ten just isn't enough for all the detours Amy Sherman-Pallidino likes to write into her shows. In a 22 episode season, taking trips to Paris or the Catskills would be welcome. With only 10 episodes, it means taking precious time away from Midge's rising stand-up career. Still, I love the rat-a-tat Sherman-Pallidino dialogue, Rachel Brosnahan is a perfect Sherman-Pallidino lead, and the cast is full of able comic performers around her. There just aren't many shows I enjoy going on frustrating detours with.
[Find it on Amazon Prime]

Favorite Episode: Episode #1.8
Frankly, I watched this show so long ago that I have trouble remembering details about it. What I do remember is that Alex Lawther as a budding psychopath/aspiring serial killer and Jessica Barden, in search of anything more exciting than her current life, are a lead duo I'm happy to follow. The season is refreshingly brief (Despite being on Netflix, no episode is longer than a network sitcom without the commercials) and it ended so perfectly that I'm cursing Netflix for ordering another season (even though I'll absolutely watch it). I definitely don't think the show if for everyone. You should be able to tell in the first couple minutes if the dark sense of humor and muted tone are for you. And, even if you hate it, you only waste the amount of time it take to watch a single Lord of the Rings movie.
[Find it on Netflix]

20. Dear White People (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #46 - 2017
Favorite Episode: Volume 2: Chapter IV
This show is really damn smart and elevates the discussion of race in America better than anything I've seen in 2018. It's also occasionally funny, occasionally mysterious, and occasionally tragic. I suspect the title scares a lot of people away, which is a shame. Frankly, I've learned a lot from the show; things I should've learned a long time ago. That said, it never feels like homework watching the show. Each episode focuses on a different cast member's story. It's fun to see how the overlapping narratives play out throughout the season. This season ends with a twist that, in hindsight, I should've seen coming all along. It sets things up for an interesting third season.
[Find it on Netflix]

The 10 I Wish I Could've Put Higher
21. Fresh Off the Boat (Seasons 4-5)
Previous Rank: #42 - 2017, #18 - 2016, #16 - 2015
I'm so happy people finally know who Constance Wu is thanks to Crazy, Rich Asians. Hopefully that will lead to more people watching this great ABC family comedy. Wu is by far the best thing about the show, but she's not alone. The ensemble has rounded out nicely as it has moved away from making Eddie the lead character. In 2018, Honey and Marvin having their baby has been the best of both worlds. they can do stories about cultural differences in baby rearing but the Huangs aren't saddled with a baby of their own that they have to work around. And, for the record, I have no idea why the show dropped so much in my rankings last year. Normally these are pretty consistent even though I do the rankings independently.
[Find it on Hulu]

22. Succession (Season 1)
I've loved listening to the ongoing debate about whether this HBO series is a comedy or a drama. I think I lean drama, but either read of it is fine. It's hard to convince people to watch a show about dysfunctional rich people acting horribly. The only thing I can say in its defense is that it's not glamorizing these characters. It's aware of just how awful they are, and that leads to some pretty tremendous laughs. (OK, maybe it is a comedy.) This isn't a show that gets better as the season progresses. Rather, it comes fully formed yet it takes a few episodes to get used to its rhythms. I love the whole cast, but Nicholas Braun's lovable doofus, cousin Greg, stands out in a year full of lovable doofuses.
[Find it on HBO Now]

I'm a big fan of Mike Flannagan's horror movies (Oculus, Hush), so I was excited when I heard he had a Netflix series. For the most part, it didn't disappoint. Great cast (Michiel Huisman, Carla Gugino, Elizabeth Reaser, Timothy Hutton) and some great scares. The sixth episode, "Two Storms", was by far the highlight of the season, using minimal visual cuts to raise the suspense to new levels. Horror really isn't designed to be spread out over a long period of time, so it's really impressive that this mostly kept things up for 10 episodes. Based on word of mouth, it was popular enough for a second season, but I don't know how they could make that work. Better to leave it as is.
[Find it on Netflix]

24. The Handmaid's Tale (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #27 - 2017
Elisabeth Moss, Yvonne Strahovski, Alexis Bledel, Ann Dowd, and the rest of the cast are incredible. I don't think I wavered on how I felt about a character as much as Strahovski's Serena Waterford. Every week she either infuriated me or made me hopeful that she finally saw the light. The fact that Elisabeth Moss still outshined her is a testament to how great Elisabeth Moss is. No one gets a better showcase week-to-week than Moss. By cruel design, this is the least bingible show on the air. If my tolerance was a little higher, and if I wasn't so frustrated by the repetitive story this season, it easily could've broken into my top 20.
[Find it on Hulu]

25. Blackish (Seasons 4-5)
Previous Rank: #14 - 2017, #13 - 2016, #34 - 2015, #29 - 2014
Blackish has been a perennial favorite for a couple years now. It takes a little dip this year only because the season 4-ending story arc about Bo and Dre having marital problems went on a little too long and underlined the same point too much. Otherwise, it was business as usual. When Blackish is firing, the Johnson family still makes me laugh like few others on TV. Dre's work scenes are somehow endearingly racist. That shouldn't be a thing, but somehow those scenes make it work. I think it's because it successfully conveys that fighting racism is more of a constant discussion than something with a specific end point. Regardless, those scenes are often howlingly funny.
I don't know how many more times I need to say this: If you don't watch any of the ABC family comedies, you are missing out.
[Find it on Hulu]

26. Everything Sucks (Season 1)
This show got very lost in the winter schedule and Netflix has already cancelled it. That's a real shame. It's a 90s high school coming of age story that's high on nostalgia, with a wonderful young cast, and a sweet heart. It's been a hard show to get people to watch because there's nothing urgent about it, and it plays sort of like it's an import from some obscure Canadian network. It was a treat to watch though and hit so many of my sweet spots. Patch Darragh dancing to Deep Blue Something is the most goofily enjoyable thing I remember watching this year. This show wears its heart on its sleeve wonderfully. My only issue is that it ends on a bit of a cliff-hanger and there's no hope of resolving it now.
[Find it on Netflix]

Another Netflix true crime series. In four parts, it investigates one of the most bizarre crimes in American history. It's a little light on answers, but it's a doozy. I remember hearing about this bank robbery around the time it happened, but I had no idea just how complicated and messy the whole thing really was. With each new detail, the story sounds more and more like something a screenwriter came up with. I did watch most of this with a couple shots of bourbon in me. I'm not sure if that added to or diminished the appeal. All I know is that I would happily watch Ann Dowd play Marjorie Diehl-Armstrong in a TV movie some day. 
[Find it on Netflix]

28. Silicon Valley (Season 5)
Previous Rank: #24 - 2017, #14 - 2016, #5 - 2015, #3 - 2014
The longer this show tries to run in place, the more it's going to fall on my list. I love the cast so much. Zach Woods can always make me laugh. The loss of T.J. Miller was hardly felt and left more room for Jimmy O. Yang's Jian Yang to go full heel. One nice development this season was the show realizing that Thomas Middleditch's Richard really is to blame for so many of the problems Pied Piper has faced. Earlier in the series, when characters suggested that, the show didn't appear to side with the opinion. I believe it for the first time now.
[Find it on HBO Now]
29. American Ninja Warrior (Season 10)
Previous Rank: #44 - 2017, #48 - 2016, #45 - 2015
The show doesn't change much each year. City Qualifier, City Final, Vegas Final, and maybe someone wins $1 million. The level of competitor gets better every year. The obstacles get tougher. This year saw a drop in the age limit, which artificially increased the talent pool. Overall though, it's the same basic thing. I'm fine with that. I love having this show to fill a couple hours every week in the summer. I love sitting in front of my TV, stuffing my face with cookies, watching people get past insane obstacles, and thinking "I don't know. It doesn't look that hard".
[Find it on Hulu]

30. Maniac (Season 1)
It's funny. I've mostly heard Maniac talked about in terms over how it's better than comparative shows. I've seen the second episode of Maniac called the best episode of Black Mirror in 2018 (partly because the last season of Black Mirror technically premiered at the end of 2017). Personally, I've joked that the best season of Legion this year was Maniac. Both shows share the same retro-futuristic view of the world and are run by showrunning directors always looking for a cool new way to shoot something. Maniac has the benefit of featuring leads who have a handful of Oscar nominations and a win between them in Emma Stone and Jonah Hill. Those two got to have a lot of fun and play a variety of characters/roles. I'm not sure that I actually understood what was going on half the time, but that was part of the fun.
[Find it on Netflix]

The 10 (+16) In the Middle
Gillian Flynn is becoming one of the most reliable authors in Hollywood, whether it's her adapting her own work (Gone Girl), her adapting someone else's work (Widows), or someone else adapting her work with her (Sharp Objects). This HBO mini-series had hints of Southern horror inside a larger murder mystery. Amy Adams is going to win all the awards possible for this (the Emmys won't do her like the Oscars, right?). Eliza Scanlen was pretty great too. I had some issue with where things went in the last couple episodes, but the very end and the very last line make up for it.
[Find it on HBO Now]

32. The Simpsons (Seasons 29-30)
Previous Rank: #39 - 2017, #36 - 2016, #42 - 2015
Death, taxes, The Simpsons. We don't appreciate it enough. 2018 saw The Simpsons pass Gunsmoke to become the longest running scripted primetime series in history. I'm surprised how quietly that came and went. The Simpsons is at 663 episodes according to IMDB. It premiered when Roseanne and Murphy Brown were still in their original runs. It's on it's fifth U.S. President. For 30 seasons it's been a solid rating performer and was at one time a cultural phenomenon. The list of writers who have worked for the show is up there with the likes of SNL and The Show of Shows. I'm in awe of this show and you should be too.
[Find it on Hulu and FX Now]

33. Bob's Burgers (Seasons 8-9)
Previous Rank: #48 - 2017, #44 - 2016, #43 - 2015
It's always going to be behind The Simpsons for me. Maybe it shouldn't be. It's just as clever, just as funny, and just as watchable. It's somehow on season 9 even though it feels like it just premiered. Those animated series have a way of doing that. Even just reading the episode titles makes me laugh. "Y Tu Ga-Ga Tambien". Who makes a title referencing a Mexican movie from 2000 that most film nerds haven't even seen? "The Hurt Soccer". "The Taking of Funtime One Two Three". "Better Off Sled". That's good shit. And the episodes live up to the titles.
[Find it on Hulu]

34. Westworld (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #25 - 2016
I love the scale of the production. It's behind only Game of Thrones as the most impressive production on TV. Individual episodes like "Akane no Mai" and ":Kiksuya" were among the year's best. Individual performers like Thandie Newton and Jeffrey Wright deserve every bit of praise they receive for the show. I just plain don't care about the puzzle of the show. I wish it would be more concerned with good storytelling than with confusing/deceiving the audience. It's no coincidence that the best episodes of the season were the straightforward, stand-alone episodes. Oh well, I'll be back for season 3, no doubt.
[Find it on HBO Now]

35. LA to Vegas (Season 1)
This show was never going to work. The concept for it - the misadventures of the passengers and crew on a discount airline making trips from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and back - was too limited to work long term. Even by the end of its lone season, the stories were running on fumes. Still, they got every bit of comedy that they could out of the idea. Kim Matula isn't all that funny herself, but she quarterbacked all the crazies nicely. The highlight of the show, of course, was Dylan McDermott hamming it up as the pilot of the airplane. Best of all, Dermot Mulroney had a recurring role as McDermott's virtually identical rival. You've gotta love them leaning into the running internet joke that they are interchangeable.
[Find it...somewhere]

36. Homecoming (Season 1)
Julia Roberts in her first series regular role was stupendous. Stephan James gave her a great scene partner. Bobby Cannavale and Sissy Spacek were great in supporting roles. This Sam Esmail series was cleverly directed and scored. The big reveal moment, in which the visual style of the series was explained is the kind of thing that showrunners dream of being able to pull off. For some reason, I just didn't get sucked into the mystery of it all. I wish I had a better explanation for putting it this low. It just goes to show how much solid TV there was this year.
[Find it on Amazon Prime]

37. Legion (Season 2)
Previous Rank: #22 2017
Good luck finding a more visually inventive show on TV. Showrunner Noah Hawley began as an author, which is hard to believe. The best parts of Legion would suggest someone who has thought for the screen or as a director for much longer. Season 2 actually ran into trouble because Hawley seemed to be more concerned with clever new ways to visualize something than with storytelling. I couldn't tell you what actually happened this season. It was mess for the most part. Still, there was always something to look at. I know I've watched the dance off in the premiere several times. And there's the simple fact that I'll watch any show with Aubrey Plaza in it.
[Find it on Hulu...eventually]

I wasn't sure where this show would end up on my list. Anywhere from 11th to 50th would've sounded right. This is AMC's second mini-series based on a John Le Carre novel after the success of The Night Manager a couple years ago. This one relies heavily of relative newcomer Florence Pugh. She is tasked with playing an actress working as a spy working as an actress. The series plays with the truth in interesting ways, as Pugh is trained to not only learn a cover story, but to live it in order to stop a radical terrorist group from killing innocent people. Michael Shannon and Alexander Skarsgaard are good, but Pugh is what determined is it would sink or swim. She's great. It's the overall story that I didn't care much about.
[Find it on AMC.com]

39. Saturday Night Live (Seasons 43-44)
Previous Rank: #32 - 2017, #32 - 2016, #36 - 2015, #20 - 2014
After a Trump-fueled resurgence in 2017, SNL took a little step back in 2018, relying to much on guest stars for most of the political sketches and losing any trace of nuance to Alec Baldwin's Trump. I like a lot of the cast right now, so it would be nice if they would start looking to them more often for the roles. They've lucked out that no one seems to last very long in that administration. Imagine if they still had to get Melissa McCarthy to be available to do something with Sean Spicer every other week.
It's always hard to rate a season though. It's inconsistent by nature, even at its very best. Personally, I love Collin and Che doing Weekend Update and how they play to each other more than the audience. As long as Kate McKinnon and Kennan Thompson are in the cast, I know I'm going to laugh. I don't have the time or motivation to track down a favorite sketch of the season, but that NASA one from the Steve Carell episode made me laugh a lot.
[Find it on Hulu]

40. Lodge 49 (Season 1)
I laughed exactly twice in 10 episodes. Both were giant belly laughs. The rest of the time, I liked relaxing and going with the flow. I'm not sure how to rate a show like that. Lodge 49 plays by its own rules. Part of the time it was a buddy comedy. Other times it was a stoner mystery. Occasionally, it was a reflection on wasted opportunities and unrealized potential.  I mean, the big guest star of the season was Bruce Campbell. Use that calibrate wisely. All I know for sure is that Sean (Wyatt Russell) and Liz (Sonya Cassidy) are TV siblings I'm more than happy to hang out with once a week.
[Find it on Hulu]

41. A.P. Bio (Season 1)
I'm impressed by how the series stuck to its guns. It premiered as a show about Glenn Howerton as a disgraced Harvard philosophy professor hired to teach A.P. Bio at his hometown high school. The show promised that he was never going to teach them anything and that it wouldn't turn into some Welcome Back Carter situation. And, they've followed through with that so far. Howerton spends most of his time yelling at teens and doing everything except teaching them A.P. Bio. They assembled a talented group of young actors to play his students with a variety of personalities. Patton Oswalt as the eager-to-please principal gives Howerton another person to scowl in contempt at. Howerton, as over a decade of It's Always Sunny has already proven, is great at verbally assaulting people. I don't know how much life there is to this idea. It got renewed for a second season, so I guess I'll find out.
[Find it on Hulu]

42. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Season 4.1)
Previous Rank: #36 - 2017, #29 - 2016, #17 - 2015
I'm not sure how UKS fell from where I had it last year. Last season had me prety low on the show. By the end, it was all too much. Season 4 (the half that aired in 2018 at least) was a nice bounce back. However, I have accepted that this will never live up to it's predecessor (30 Rock). I enjoy it for what it is. Ellie Kemper's Kimmy is a ball of sunshine.Titus Burgess's Titus Andromedon annoys the hell out of me. Carol Kane's Lillian always feels a little out of place, even though she's funny enough. Jane Krakowski is so good at playing Jenna Moroney that I don't really mind her playing the chacacter again and calling her Jacqueline White. Oh, and there's always the best opening theme song on TV.
[Find it on Netflix]

43. This Is Us (Seasons 2-3)
Previous Rank: #37 - 2017, #27 - 2016
Well, Jack is finally dead, so that's one less game to play. That's been replaced by flashbacks to Vietnam and an election arc for Randall. I don't know how I feel about that trade off. Not much of an improvement. Mandy Moore got to do some of the best work of her career after Jack's death. Really anything with her and Milo Ventamiglia before the kids is sweet and romantic. I never figured the show would age well as it burnt through plot, so this is following schedule. The cast is still great though and there are enough sublime moments to make it worth keeping up with.
[Find it on Hulu]

I watched this three part mini-series and thought that it was a sometimes dark, sometimes funny story about gay panic and the British parliament. It wasn't until the end that I realized that it was based on actual events. Somehow, that made it darker and funnier while adding tragedy and urgency. This is the second thing I saw this year featuring Hugh Grant and Ben Wishaw as good as they've ever been. Alas, it broke the one rule I set as an immediate disqualifier: no dead dogs. It's hard to come back from that, no matter good something is otherwise.
[Find it on Amazon Prime]

45. The Big Bang Theory (Seasons 11-12)
Previous Rank: #47 - 2017, #47 - 2016, ? - 2015, #22 - 2014, #19 - 2013
This is an old sitcom by any measure and it's in its final season (I think). You can sense the writers wrapping everything up, even if they are doing it clumsily. Sheldon and Amy finally got married. Raj appears to have found a girl. Howard and Bernadette are settled in as parents. Leonard and Penny, well, they are still together. The show never quite figured out what that relationship was beyond "sitcom math" at work. Even resident  sad-sack Stuart has a girlfriend. Hopefully they don't try something at the bottom of the 9th to mess everything up, like renewing the show without Sheldon or something.
[Find it on CBS All Access]

46. The Last Man on Earth (Season 4)
Previous Rank: #43 - 2017, #22 - 2016, #31 - 2015
Not many shows can claim to be genuinely unique. The Last Man on Earth played by its own rules until the very end. No other show had its bizarre sense of humor. Will Forte's Phil Tandy Miller is the kind of frustrating, annoying, but somehow lovable leading man that TV doesn't often see. January Jones took a staggering left turn with her character that no one would've expected in episode 2. Even though I didn't always like the show, I'm going to miss it more than a lot of shows I've ranked above it simply because there was nothing else like it.
[Find it on Hulu]

47. Orange is the New Black (Season 6)
Previous Rank: #41 - 2017, #26 - 2016, #28 - 2018, #24 - 2014
I've always been a little lower on Orange than other people. I've always liked it though. This season saw the inmates move to maximum security prison after the riot. I didn't care much for it, even though, like last season, I appreciated Jenji Kohan's attempt to shake things up. In maximum security prison, it looked too much like female Oz. The severity of the setting didn't mix as well with the lighter tone the show like to hit most of the time. Still, I'm in awe of how the show maintains and rotates out its ensemble. Literally anyone could become my next favorite character. It's probably time to start looking at an end game though, or to let go of more of the original cast, who look a little bored.
[Find it on Netflix]

48. A Million Little Things (Season 1)
I cannot get this title correct. I keep wanting to drop "Little" or change "Things" to "Reasons". I think that reflects how derivative the show is, pulling greatly from both This Is Us and 13 Reasons Why. The show leans far too much into melodrama and far too quickly. Any group of friends with this many secrets shouldn't remain friends. Still, the cast is charming; James Roday, Romany Malco, and Allison Miller in particular. I accidentally watched one too many episodes. and now I'm committed for the entire season, at least. At the rate that this burns through plot, I can't imagine where things will be by then.
[Find it on Hulu]

49. Forever (Season 1)
This Maya Rudolph/Fred Armisen show was this season's big mystery, except for the fact that most people don't even know it exists. Even though it's been out for a few months, I don't want to reveal too much about it; not that the surprises are worth it. The show never quite finds its footing, even though Rudolph gets a rare chance to show off some dramatic range. Still, the season's sixth episode, "Andre and Sarah", which has almost nothing to do with the other seven episodes, is one of the best episodes of any show this year, and can be watched as a standalone short film. Sadly, that does only highlight how disappointing the rest of the season was.
[Find it on Amazon Prime]

50. The Romanoffs (Season 1)
Matthew Weiner's follow-up to Mad Men is massively ambitious. It's a globetrotting anthology series about people who all believe they are descendants of the Russian royal family. The cast is incredible and Amazon invested a lot of money into it. The anthology format allows Weiner to experiment with tone and story to an even greater degree than he did in Mad Men. The Romanoffs is no Mad Men though. The episodes were uniformly too long. They rarely came together in a believable way. I know creative types hate to hear this, but sometimes, there is such a thing as too much freedom.
[Find it on Amazon Prime]

51. Vanity Fair
This was an easy end of the year binge. I'm not familiar with the book, so I got to experience the story with new eyes. That was the saving grace. While Olivia Cooke is a fine Becky Sharp and the rest of the British cast are fine, much of the series rings false. Everything is far too neat. All the period appropriate costumes look too new and starched. Every room looks like it was set up 10 minutes before filming. I kind of hate the guy opening every episode by saying "This is Vanity fair. A world where everyone is striving for what is not worth having". It's worth watching if you're a fan of costume dramas, but it isn't going to change anyone's mind on the genre.
[Find it on Amazon Prime]

52. Love (Season 3)
Previous Rank: #64 - 2017, #57 - 2016
This is a well made show. It knows exactly what it is and wants to be. Gillian Jacobs is a star. Paul Rust annoyed me a lot, but that's kind of the point. I was most often impressed by the side characters this year. Claudia O'Doherty's spotlight episode was by far my favorite of the series. She better start showing up in more movies and shows. Iris Apatow has real chops too. I love the scene when she's on the studio backlot, fuming with rage, and snaps out of it just long enough to be sweet to a producer and some fans. I never cared for what the show was trying to be, even if it did so successfully. That's why it's so far down on my list. That, and it wrapped everything up at the end hastily and clumsily.
[Find it on Netflix]

53. New Girl (Season 7)
Previous Rank: #54 - 2017, #40 - 2016, #46 - 2015, #23 - 2014, #15 - 2013
Honestly, New Girl doesn't deserve to be down this far. By the end, it was a solid joke-machine and had one of the most over-qualified casts on TV. Almost the entire main cast could anchor a series on their own. That's pretty remarkable when you think about how New Girl started as "The Zooey Deschanel Show", withstood the loss of the most charismatic male cast member (Damon Wayans Jr.) after the pilot, and even lost Deschanel for half a season. I like that New Girl took the Parks & Rec. inspiration and made a time jump for the last season. Had it aired a little more recently and not been so obviously burned off, I might have put it higher.
[Find it on Netflix]

This movie about Garry Shandling was broken into two parts that aired over two night, so I'm calling it a series. This documentary is a loving tribute by Judd Apatow about his mentor. It might be Apatow's finest work as a director. He got a ton of access and a lot of great interviews. The first half that focused on the early days of Shandling and the comedy scene of the 70s and 80s was far more interesting that the second half, especially during the less eventful, post-Larry Sanders Show years. Shandling is more beloved by the comedy world where he had a massive influence than he is beloved by the world in general. I'm not sure it accomplishes the goal of explaining his importance to non-comedy people.
[Find it on HBO Now]

55. Modern Family (Seasons 9-10)
Previous Rank: #52 - 2017, #46 - 2016, #48 - 2015, #21 - 2014, #20 - 2013
It's an old show. The adult cast has reached the point where they can do this in their sleep. It's hard to blame them for not being as hungry as in those first few seasons. It happens to every show (Did the Cheers guys even rehearse in those last few seasons?). And, the kids are all too old now. Unlike, say, The Middle (which also had a much smaller cast), Modern Family never bothered to tilt the story more to the kids or to find room for them. Haley's pregnancy arc has been a nice attempt, but even that has only been a tertiary story.
[Find it on Hulu...some of it]

56. Supergirl (Season 3)
I'm a fan of easy to watch CW shows with a lot of pretty people. In fact, the only reason I finally picked up Supergirl and watched all three seasons this summer was because Season 3 had Odette Annable, who I've liked since Cloverfield. It's a decently enjoyable show. I'm happy to leave it on in the background. But if the cast was even 80% as pretty, I doubt I'd bother. I'm certainly not keeping up with it week to week. At the risk of sounding too superficial about the show, I do want to note that Melissa Benoist is absolutely terrific for this role. She is so damn likable and pulls off the heroic moments when needed.
[Find it on Netflix]

57. 30 for 30 (The Two Bills, The Last Days of Knight, 42 to 1)
Part of the appeal of the original batch of 30 for 30 documentaries was that it had filmmakers experimenting with the documentary form in each installment. We're in the 90s now in episode count. There's only so many new ways to make a documentary. There's a "house style" now and it's hard to find new sports stories that haven't been told before. So 2018's crop of 30 for 30s just wasn't as good as in past years. Still, they are easy watches, and I liked recognizing all the shots of the campus at my alma mater in The Last Days of Knight. Someone probably deserves bonus for getting Pacells and Belichik on board for "The Two Bills".
[Find it on ESPN.com]

The Bottom 10
58. The Flash (Season 4)
Previous Rank: #53 - 2017, #56 - 2016)
I'm unfair to the CW shows, because I don't watch in the Fall. So, I only judging on half a season. I get a lot of chuckles out of Barry, Cisco, Caitlin, and the gang. Tom Cavanagh has almost too much fun playing all the different versions on Harry Wells. Gun to my head - I couldn't tell you who the villain for season 4 was or how they beat him. Frankly, I don't care. It played well at the time, I'm sure. Hartley Sawyer was both annoying and charming throughout the season. Whatever the case, it hasn't moved into brooding like Arrow yet, so I'm sure I'll be back to catch up on Netflix next summer.
[Find it on Netflix]

59. Good Girls (Season 1)
I like that NBC provided me a delivery system to get  more Christina Hendricks, Mae Whitmanm, and Rhetta in my life. As with most of the sub-50 shows on my list, it's an easy and inconsequential watch. I doubt I'll return for season 2 (how many shows have I said that about though?), but it was enjoyable enough.
I would like some help. For some reason, I keep thinking this show is produced by Jason Katims. Other than Mae Whitman, is there any other reason why I would think this? I can't find one. Maybe having QB1 (Zach Gilford) in a support role is also to blame.

[Find it on Hulu...some of it]

60. Waco
Because, yeah. David Koresh really needed someone to take his side. I appreciate what the Paramount Network was trying. They took a lot of big swings since premiering this year. Perhaps the biggest swing was beginning with a mini-series with no hope of continuation. They got the best cast possible. I feel like Michael Shannon, Melissa Benoist, whichever Culkin brother this had, and Andrea Riseborough should all be too busy to have the time to be in this. Julia Garner is a whole other level of busy. In 2018 alone, she was a regular cast member in four different series (Waco, Maniac, Dirty John, and Ozark) and was in multiple episodes of a fifth (The Americans). That's absurd. Nearly as absurd as Taylor Kitch's speaking voice as David Koresh, which sounded like he was always too short of breath to yell. It really wasn't a bad show. I just tried a little too hard to tell the Branch Davidian side of the story.
[Find it on ParamountNetwork.com]

61. Rise (Season 1)
Jason Katims has earned a season a blind faith. Friday Night Lights is an all-time great series. Parenthood very above average. The return to small town high school life in Rise and the shift to musical theater sounded like a slam dunk. Auli'i Cravalho has supernova potential, and they are smart to buy stock in her early. But Rise was more stumble than success. The biggest problem is not realizing just how unlikable Josh Radnor's Lou Mazzuchelli is. It doesn't help that they made him straight when the actually person the character is based on is gay. Who thought it was smart to make the theater director on a show about making a high school musical a straight father? Know your audience. The LGBTQ community was the only chance of making this a hit. Whatever. Rise has its moments, almost all tied to Cravalho. The rest of it is just watered down FNL so far. Maybe I'll keep watching.
[Find it...somewhere]

This show looked great. By that, I mean A+ work in production design and cinematography. It didn't have the problem of a lot of period pieces where everything looks too clean and the costumes over-starched. Dakota Fanning didn't feel as out of place in the period setting as I expected. She held her own with Daniel Bruhl and Luke Evans even though the age gap was a little more distracting than the casting agents may have thought. I never got sucked into the mystery at the center of the show  though and ended up completing it out of habit more than a need to see what happens next.
[Find it on TNT.com]

63. House of Cards (Season 6)
Previous Rank: #66 - 2017, #37 - 2016, #51 - 2015, #36 - 2014
There's a world where Francis Underwood is killed off from the show for creative reasons, not Kevin Spacey reasons, and Claire takes over on her own terms. Season 5 came eerily close do setting that up on its own. There's no ideal way to lose the star of a show, but House of Cards was positioned for it as well as any show I can think of. In this world where the show was handed over to Claire on purpose, I assume he story wouldn't be so concerned with tying up loose ends that the writers intended for Frank to worry about. I'd really like to watch this hypothetical show. Robin Wright has been the series MVP for a while. The season we actually got though, wasn't great. Claire spent most of the season filling in for Frank storylines. The conflict with the Shepherd family never amounted to much, except for the occasional scene in which Robin Wright and Diane Lane squared off (I'd watch a whole series of that). And there was that whole pregnancy story which never made sense*. The concluding moments of the series landed with a thud. I literally wasn't aware that it was the end when I watched it. After the episode ended, I was confused that another episode didn't come on. I checked IMDB and Netflix to make sure it wasn't a mistake.
[Find it on Netflix]

*Really, how old is Claire Underwood supposed to be? Spacey is 59. Wright is 48. I was under the impression that Clarie and Frank didn't have a large age gap, so you can't pretend Claire is much younger than Wright. I admit that I'm pretty ignorant about pregnancy, but how is it not a bigger deal that Claire got pregnant? At the very least, should it be an incredibly difficult pregnancy? Not one where she can be poisoned and the baby is still fine.

64. Ghosted (Season 1)
Previous Rank: #63 - 2017
This Adam Scott/Craig Robinson/Amber Stevens-West supernatural comedy never figured itself out or even got good. I do love seeing how desperate series try to course correct. This one shifted hard. It dropped the supernatural element almost entirely and basically turned into a workplace comedy. It brought Kevin Dunn into the cast at the very end. And, it actually was a little better. The show needed to end. The cast was far too good to be wasted on a dying series, but the collective talent made it work. Episodes toward the very end only seemed half produced even. They would let moments sit awkwardly rather than try to edit them for laughs. It really did play like it was supposed to have a laugh track but no one bothered adding it in afterwards. The ultimate sign of how little anyone cared by the end: the last episode clearly came from earlier in the production, when they were still trying the monster of the week idea. It didn't match up with the storylines from the previous week at all. In terms of television production, Ghosted might be the most informative series I watched all year. I won't miss it, but I wouldn't trade the memories for anything.
[Find it...somewhere]

65. UnREAL (Seasons 3 & 4)
Previous Rank: #45 - 2016
This is a real rarity. 2 entire seasons of UnREAL aired in 2018. Even rarer, they aired virtually back to back and on different networks. Season 3 was delayed on the schedule for months, finally airing in the early Spring. Then, this summer, Lifetime dumped it to Hulu who quietly burned them off on one day (despite their normal business model being weekly episode releases). It's a shame I didn't watch it's sublime first season when it aired in 2015 so I could've ranked it highly. That was the only good season, it turns out. Seasons 3 and 4 were just not very good. Too melodramatic. Burned through too much story. The darkness that made the fist season so great was replaced with viciousness that didn't even have a target. They took the anti-hero idea too far and just made everyone villains without owning up to the idea. Shirri Appleby and Constance Zimmer still had their moments, but they were fleeting and far between.
[Find it on Hulu]

66. Camping (Season 1)
Since I didn't watch the whole seasons on these last shows, I'm not sticking to the 100 word minimum of the first 64 shows. It turns out that making a show about Jennifer Garner being unlikable just makes Jennifer Garner unlikable. It doesn't conflict the audience at all. This uncomfortable show wasn't for me.
[Find it on HBO Now]

67. Happy Together (Season 1)
I thought the collective sitcom talent of Damon Wayans Jr. and Amber Stevens West would be enough to make this show watchable. It's not. Everything about this CBS sitcom was lazy.
[Find it on CBS All Access]

My "Time is Finite" Casualties
There are a lot of shows out there. I know I don't watch the top 66 shows that aired in 2018. That would be impossible. These 10 shows are the ones I most intended to watch but haven't yet for some reason.

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace
Reason I Missed: Lack of motivation
Reason to Watch: I've heard just enough good word of mouth.

Arrested Development (Season 5)
Reason I Missed: Lack of motivation
Reason to Watch: Completionism

Brockmire (Season 2)
Reason I Missed: I didn't IFC at the time
Reason to Watch: I liked the first season a lot.

Casual (Season 4)
Reason I Missed: Lack of motivation
Reason to Watch: Completionism

Collateral (Season 1)
Reason I Missed: I kept forgetting about it
Reason to Watch: Carey Mulligan and strong reviews

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (Season 3-4)
Reason I Missed: Intimidating backlog of episodes
Reason to Watch: I liked the first season.

My Brilliant Friend
Reason I Missed: Subtitles during a busy time of year
Reason to Watch: Really great reviews and general trust of HBO curation.

Pose (Season 1)
Reason I Missed: I wasn't sure if it would be worth it, then I forgot about it.
Reason to Watch: Strong praise all-around.

Shameless (Season 9)
Reason I Missed: Lack of motivation
Reason to Watch: Completionism

Transparent (Season 5)
Reason I Missed: Lack of motivation
Reason to Watch: Completionism


No comments:

Post a Comment