Wednesday, January 2, 2019

2018 Movies: Top 10, Bottom 10, and Everything In Between


This is my eighth year doing this and it remains the same. I've taken every 2018 movie I saw in the last year and ranked them all. This is not a definitive list. It will change over time. It always does. The discussion of a movie never ends on December 31 (or January 2 in this case). Some movies stick with me. Others fade away. I've had 11 months to digest some films and only few days for others. All the awards buzz is hard to ignore right now. But, this is when people make and pay attention to Top 10 lists, so I'm going to follow suit with this snapshot of my current opinion.

I take this list seriously. Too seriously probably. It means a lot to me that I get the lists ordered honestly and accurately. This is my list though. I'm not picking the most important movies or the best technical achievements. Roughly speaking, I'm asking myself "What movie provided more value added to my year?" I absolutely think you should see all the movies that I put at the top, because I hope that you can get out of them what I did. This doesn't necessarily mean that my top 10 movies are the 10 I think the most people would like. Check Rotten Tomatoes if you just want the least objectionable movies of the year. It's also worth noting that the further into the middle of the list you go, the less you should read into a specific ranking. Depending on how the wind blew, what's at 57 now could've been 72.

This is the year I really pushed the limits the number of new movies I could see. With an assist from MoviePass for 8 months, I saw 102 movies in theaters in 2018; up a whopping 18 movies from the year before. A 21% year-to-year increase. That's damn near 2 movies per week. I'm not sure how I did that. I saw a nearly identical increase in the number 2018 movies (in theaters or at home) I saw. From 98 to 119 movies (another 21% increase). I know I say it every year, but don't expect that to increase next year.

Two things are immediately striking about my 2018 in movies. The first is that there aren't any clear candidates for my All-Time favorite list. I love the movies in my top 10, but it's not the Murderers' Row that 2015 or 2011 had. I was surprised (pleasantly in some cases) how high some of the movies ended up. The second striking thing about this year is how happy so many of the films made me. The longer that I've kept this blog up, the more I get worried that I'm sucking all the fun out of watching movies. I worry that I'm the guy who complains about everything and enjoys nothing. Not in 2018. I can't remember a year in which I came out of so many movies refreshed and reinvigorated. Even some of the movies with depressing stories excited me because they did something I haven't seen before or genuinely surprised me. While my top 10 may not be as strong as past years, 2018 as a whole is every bit as good as any year in recent memory. It's left me more motivated to continue than ever.

The further down the list I get, the less I'll justify why I place it there. Check out the linked Reaction if you really want to know how I feel about it. I promise you, I'm annoyingly consistent. I know this because I will often write a blurb about a movie and forget that I wrote the exact same thing about it 10 months ago. It's a kick in the balls for the part of me that believes in personal growth.

Finally, a couple clerical notes as always. I define the release year by its year on BoxOfficeMojo. If the film or release date isn't listed there, then I go with the IMDB year. So, even though I saw I Tonya in 2018, it doesn't count toward my 2018 list. I'm keeping my comments about the movies brief for most of the list. I'll link to my more thorough Reactions if you want my more complete thoughts.



Top 10
1. Searching
I do my best to own up to my own biases in movies. I know I have some unrecognized blindspots. One weakness I know I have is for anything in a "found footage" style. I love the puzzle of it: telling a narrative while not appearing to be consciously doing it. At its best, there isn't a more immediate style of filmmaking. The problem is, "found footage" is rarely done at a high level. More often, it's seen as a cost saving measure for horror movies. Searching is a little different. It's a thriller told entirely through computer screens as a father (John Cho) tries to find his missing daughter. That may sound dry, but I promise you it isn't Simply put, I came out of Searching more satisfied than after any movie this year. It was exactly what I wanted to see.

I still can't believe I have this so high. I assume some of it is recency bias, but I really did love this movie. The animation style is nice. The voice acting is really good. The writing is what sets the movie apart. I love how it plays with the worn out superhero origin story to make something fresh but familiar. The story hides in plain sight. It's a superhero movie disguising itself as a superhero movie. It's the closest thing to having your cake and eating it too. It deconstructs the superhero narrative as a way to play right into it. I think I'm trying to intellectualize this too much. It's funny. It's exciting. It's sad and inspiring. It's everything I want from a superhero movie.

One of the recurring themes of 2018 was the unreliable narrator. A lot of films tackled the idea that the way a story gets told isn't that same as what really happened. No film did this better than American Animals. It's the story of an infamous rare book heist in 2004. As the movie plays out with actors playing the parts, the actual guys who committed the crime are mixed in for interviews to narrate the events. It really embraces the idea that they all have different accounts of the same events but it doesn't try to get too cute about it. The movie embraces the discrepancies and doesn't push too hard to get a single, unified answer to things. It found a way to combine two things I love - clever heist film, thoughtful documentary - in a really entertaining way.

The last thing I want my top movie list to be is pretentious. In that spirit, there's no way I'm leaving out this technically brilliant action movie. Tom Cruise is insane. I don't know what drives him to do things no other Hollywood actor would dare do himself, but he's a culture driver for this franchise. The set pieces in this are complex, big, and efficient. There's art in something this entertaining.

This is the kind of depressing indie movie I have a hard time recommending to people. It's the story of a self-proclaimed sociopath (Olivia Cooke) who rekindles her friendship with a wealthy classmate (Anya Taylor-Joy) and, together, they plot to kill her stepfather. It's very much a "bored rich people problems" movie, but I love the dark wit of it. It also has one of the endings I've thought the most this year.

I have Star Wars blinders. I know I'm supposed to call the movie a box office and creative disappointment (I have many thoughts about its box office performance), but I don't agree with that. It's certainly misguided and highly imperfect, but I still enjoyed watching it. I'll take any excuse to visit the Star Wars galaxy for a couple hours, and if it happens to have Donald Glover playing Lando Calrissian, then all the better.

Armando Ianucci applies his profane comic mastery to the actual power struggle in 1950s Soviet Russia. In addition to being petty and hilarious, the movie pauses just often enough to remind the audience of the sad reality behind the events. 

I love a good coming of age high school story. This has a terrific young cast. Ultimately what I liked the most about it is that it's a good spirited movie. It's not about Simon losing his friends and family or facing the worst in people. He's allowed to have a happy ending. So many movies about homosexual characters are about the ugliness they see from the world. I like seeing something that's able to focus on the sweetness of first love and the relief of being able to be who you really are.

9. Mary Poppins Returns
I don't even hold the original movie that dear. I just love the good-spirited story-telling and the cast of charming performers. Emily Blunt somehow shines despite the enormous pressure to live up to what Julie Andrews did half a century ago. Everyone just seems happy to be in this movie. That goes a long way with me.

I'm trying to keep these blurbs brief, but not here. I need to apologize to Black Panther. I've been weirdly combative about the movie all year. I've been annoyed by the way that people talk about Black Panther like it's the only superhero movie with any artistic merit. Black Panther shouldn't be the first movie that deserves real Oscar consideration.That is all I've ever meant to say. I hate the notion that crowd-pleasing entertainment is somehow lesser to "serious" movies. I would love if Black Panther started a reconsideration of the genre, but I suspect that people will call Black Panther the exception to the rule rather than just admit that they liked a superhero movie.
Oh well, here's my attempt to make up for lost time. Black Panther is a great movie, worthy of its phenomenon status. Ryan Coogler is in the top tier of directors who know how to apply auteur filmmaking to big budget entertainment. Michael B. Jordan's Killmonger is the best villain in any Marvel movie by a healthy margin. Letitia Wright's Shuri is a singular character in the Marvel Universe. This cast has an embarrassment of riches. The world-building, even within the already established MCU, is tremendous. I love that I can enjoy this movie as pure entertainment or drill down for thematic heft.

Next 10
11. The Favourite
It's so nice to finally like a Yorgos Lanthimos movie. Having Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, and Olivia Colman at their darkly comedic best certainly helps.

I know I'm supposed to love this movie for the fact that it's the first movie with a predominantly Asian or Asian-American cast in an embarrassingly long time. If I'm being honest though, that's just a bonus benefit. Really, what I love is that it was a great showcase for a lot of actors I either already loved or love now. Seriously, I'm so happy that people know Constance Wu now. She is a star who shouldn't only be known to fans of ABC family sitcoms. And I just like RomComs.

13. Widows
The combination of Steve McQueen (directing and co-writing) and Gillian Flynn (co-writing) has produced a rather remarkable failed attempt at "popular" filmaking. I mean that with nothing but respect. This is what you get if you ask McQueen to make a heist movie. Sure, there is  a heist, but it's surrounded by a movie about social inequality, race in American, grief, and loss with a massively overqualified cast. This movie have a lot on its mind and juggles it all well.


Ocean's 11 is one of my favorite movies. Swap those men out with 8 of my favorite actresses and keep the rest the same. What could I possibly dislike about that? No, the movie isn't perfect, but if I'm playing the game of what I'm likely to see again or what gave me the most pleasure watching it, Ocean's 8 ranks highly.


How did this get up here? I mean, it's light on plot. Light on stakes. Hardly any recognizable actors. And I don't care. Angela and Jessie are two friends I just want to be around. This movie could've been 3 hours long and I would've happily watched to see what dumb adventure that went on next. Maia Mitchell and Camila Morrone have more chemistry than any two actors I saw this year.

I heard a lot of critics try too hard to justify what they liked this movie by offering a lot of high minded comparisons. I'm not going to do that. All I'll say is that Paddington 2 is the most universally unhateable movie of the year and put me in the best mood. This is my 2018 winner of the "if you dislike this movie, there's probably something wrong with you" award.

Let's see. I love Ryan Gosling. I love Claire Foy. Damien Chazelle has yet let me down. Of course I'm going to like this movie. I don't really need another movie about the American space race, but Chazelle proves that if something is done well enough, there's always room for another.

18. A Star Is Born (2018)
The third remake of an 80 year old movie really shouldn't be this good. And maybe it's not even that good. Maybe Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper are just that good. And the music. I really love the music. That has sold me on more than a few films over the years.

Every year, there's at least one movie that I didn't think I liked that much at first, but I still can't shake it after several months. This year, that is Lean on Pete. This is a emotionally punishing movie. I was completely exhausted by the end. But it really stuck with me. Andrew Haigh's direction is extraordinarily patient and Charlie Plummer holds it all together with preternatural poise.

The world needs to be reminded of how great Fred Rogers was. This documentary does exactly that.

Everything In Between
You can read into the difference between 48 and 73 if you want. I don't recommend it. That is my burden.

21. Minding the Gap
What starts as a simple skateboarding turns into a gripping look into how the sins of the father can inform the actions of the son.

If I'm ever too jaded to appreciate the pure joy of this movie, please shoot me dead. After watching this, I went home and immediately rewatched the first Mamma Mia. After that, I bought ABBA's greatest hits. I feel like that's all you need to know about the movie. I'm always chasing the high that this movie gave me.

I suspect that unless you were in the theater on the same night and in the same head-space that I was when I watched this, I won't be able to sell you on why I liked this movie so much. I left this movie beaming for some reason. Maybe it's because I'm hopelessly in love with Rose Byrne. Or it could be that Tig Notaro and Octavia Spencer prove to be an amazing comic duo. I might just be a sucker for sappy stories about family. Whatever the reason, I really enjoyed this movie more than I ever expected.

Spike Lee is one of our greatest living directors. He has a bit of a Woody Allen problem though. He works too much. He's always thinking about his next project. Rather than tinkering with a movie until it's right, he moves on to what's next. As a result, I end up more impressed by his body of work than by any individual movie. Occasionally though, it all comes together despite the quick turnaround time. More specifically, BlacKkKlansman is both very funny and deeply incisive.

25. Suspiria (2018)
It's a shame that my love for the original Suspiria gets in the way of my ability to fully appreciate this version, even through the movies are so different. This Suspiria is patient, artsy, and absolutely bonkers by the end.

I hate all eighth graders but I still like this movie. That should tell you everything you need to know. It gets that awkwardness right. So brutally right. Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting old, but that campfire speech with Kayla's dad is heartbreaking and sweet and one of the standout moments of the year in cinema.

This is the highest ranked movie that I like entirely for the filmmaking. The story and even the performances are just fine. What I love is Jason Reitman's direction, the camera work, and the sound mixing. I love how 20 things are happening in a given scene and a shift in focus of the camera or change in the levels of the sound are all it takes to maneuver between at all.

I say it every year. We, collectively as a society, take Pixar for granted. Without Pixar to set the bar, animation would be in a dire place by now, I fear. This Brad Bird sequel just gets everything right.

This is another one that I can't explain my love for. Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon are a great duo. That friendship feels very real. This is a very silly movie that hits comedic beats it ways that I don't see in every other comedy movie. It's the rare studio comedy that feels like it was developed outside the studio comedy system.

The Coen brothers make a six part anthology western with two stories I love, three that I like, and one that I could do without. I'll let you figure out which is which. Regardless, they are all beautifully shot and pack great variety.

Two things that will keep me thinking about a movie long after I see it are a strong lead performance and an ending that close one door and opens another. The Wife has both of these things.

In the middle is a pretty charming RomCom is a pretty profound scene about who a piece of art really belongs to: the fan or the artist. But the majority of it is a RomCom about unlikely pen pals played by Rose Byrne and Ethan Hawke. I do have trouble buying that Chris O'Dowd could ever take Rose Byrne for granted though.

This should be required viewing for anyone who thinks the world is going to shit. This documentary about the international high school science competition was the greatest jolt of optimism for the future that I've seen in quite a long time.

I don't have any kids, but I hope that one day I can be as torn up by the idea of my daughter going to college as Nick Offerman in this sweet little indie movie. Also, this reminds me that I need to find the titular song on iTunes.

Look,I despise the title. It gives the wrong impression about what the movie really is. It's not about three parents stopping their daughters from having sex on prom night. It's about three parents coming to terms with their daughters growing up. It's not the sex comedy  the trailers make it look like. Leslie Man is a national treasure*. John Cena is so determined to be funny that he makes it work. Ike Barinholtz surprised the hell out of me with how sincere he could be. And the young cast is really solid too. Compared to the trailers, I don't think any movie this year would surprise as many people with how good and thoughtful it actually is.

*I really try to be discriminate about who I call a national treasure. Leslie Mann is one of the most underutilized comedic talents we have. Her ability to milk a laugh out of dialogue that doesn't deserve one is almost unparalleled.

Yeah,. it's too long and overstuffed. I don't care. It's too long and overstuffed because, over the last decade, Marvel has created too many great characters that all need attention. In a few years, maybe we'll appreciate the logistical impossibility of this movie. I do my best to realize that this is a special thing, even if it doesn't seem like it right now.

Disney Animation is unparalleled in its ability to make me laugh my ass off for 70 minutes then destroy me with some poignant revelation in the third act. This film skillfully handles a truth rarely covered in other movies but never sacrifices humor along the away.

I believe in Spielberg magic. I know this is a highly imperfect film. It's a lot of fun though. Seeing a massive battle of pop cultural references with the Iron Giant and Gundams slaying is a pleasure that I really can't express. Olivia Cooke is slowly supplanting Aubrey Plaza as the crown princess of sarcasm. Or maybe she's getting old enough to be the queen.

This is Melissa McCarthy's finest work since Bridesmaids. She uses her comic timing to build a prickly but [almost] lovable character. Richard E. Grant gives one of the more unexpected Oscar-caliber performances in years as well. The stakes of the story just don't line up with the amount that I care about the main character.

The surest sign that I'm advancing my countdown to receiving AAPR  newsletters is how much I love Westerns now. This is a very episodic character piece about two brothers (played by John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix). I really enjoyed spending a couple hours in this world. It wasn't quite the comedy I thought it would be, but I still liked it. The scene in which everything goes the most wrong is one I haven't been able to shake for some reason.

I adore Michael B. Jordan. Sylvester Stallone never looks as comfortable as when he's playing Rocky Balboa. This sequel brings the franchise in the only direction it could go and does the most it can with it. With all due respect though, Steven Caple Jr. is no Ryan Coogler, and there was a drop off in the sequel. The emotional beats hit a little less hard and the fights didn't have the same technical brilliance.

42. Roma
I'm still angry that I didn't get a chance to see this in theaters. I fully believe that it's an entirely different experience in theaters. Netflix didn't give me a choice though. On my TV, I see that Roma is a technical achievement, but I didn't see the brilliance that so many others have describe. Or maybe I just didn't  love the movie. I'd believe that too.

43. Tag
Funny people being funny will always be something I want to see. This definitely benefited from me seeing it with friends rather than alone. I also wasn't aware of Jeremy Renner's CGI-repaired broken arms beforehand. So, I liked the movie. I laughed a decent amount. It had the right balance of actors known for comedy and less experienced ones grounding it.

I love that Deadpool 2 has the rebellious streak of a British Invasion band in 1971. The world has adjusted around the success of the first movie, and the punk rock attitude of the first movie can't help but gravitate back to the more traditional superhero movie structure. Still, I laughed a lot They are still amazing at trolling an audience. While it wasn't the same surprise as the original, I like that this installment didn't completely exhaust me by the end.

I've been waiting for people to realize Zoey Deutch was a RomCom idol for a couple years now. Glen Powell is a pretty obvious leading man in hindsight too. 2018 will go down as the year when Netflix movies became hits that actually drove the pop culture discussion. Set It Up was the first true word-of-mouth movie hit they had. Almost no one knows how many people actually saw the movie, but it was worthy of the affection regardless. It's a terrific throwback RomCom. The only problem I had with it (other than the fact that Lucy Liu's job doesn't exist) is that Deutch and Powell have no romantic chemistry (as friends, they are amazing together).

Yes, yet another superhero movie. Paul Rudd is hilarious, as expected. Evangeline Lilly really earns her spot in the title. She's a more convincing ass-kicker than Rudd. Michael Pena continues to be the gold standard for supporting actors. I just didn't think the villain was very good this time.

Is it possible to be too crowd pleasing? I enjoyed this movie in the least challenging way possible. There's plenty of room for that in my movie diet. Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali are a fine road duo.

We all need to get the hell out of Lucas Hedges' way. He's barely 22 and is giving performances like this already. I'd say he's going places, but he's been in four Best Picture nominees and has a Supporting Actor nomination of his own. He's not going places. He's already there.

This movie isn't a natural fit for anyone in it. Not star Anna Kendrick. Not director Paul Feig. Not even Blake Lively. The thing is, that actually adds to the movie. Feig makes a thriller with the instincts of a comedy director. Everything is a little off about the movie and makes it stand out from the crowd.

This is a perfect example of how a documentary doesn't need to be that well made if the story it interesting enough. This story is one that a screenwriter couldn't get away with making up. It has to be true to believe it.

It didn't quite live up to the huge hype, but it is a confident debut for writer/director Ari Aster. Toni Collette gives a great lead performance and there were a few good scares. Unlike my favorite horror movies though, there wasn't anything that lingered with me afterwards.

By far, the best thing about the movie was the cast and how eagerly they played all the people from the early days of the National Lampoon. Will Forte as the eternal prankster Douglas Kenney almost makes too much sense. Domhnall Gleeson underplays Henry Beard with incredible precision. The movie tries too hard to prove how smart it is though and undercuts itself by trying to stay ahead of the audience too much.

Thomasin McKenzie and Ben Forster are so good in this. Debra Granik's direction is so patient. Maybe too patient. Even though I liked watching the movie, I left it a little empty. I wanted something else to happen. I'm not sure what.

I'm all for a gimmick as long as it works. In terms of execution, the screenplay and John Krazinski's direction of it is really damn impressive. Emily Blunt carries the film as a performer. However, I had a lot of issues with the logic of the movie and a lot of the decision toward the end.

Speaking of Emily Blunt, not having her or director Denis Villeneuve for this sequel did hurt my enjoyment of it some. That left room for Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin to really flex. It turns out that the Sicario universe is one that I'm happy to revisit every couple years.

I love this screenplay and there are many great performances in this. This is such an emotionally brutal movie to watch though.

David Lowery is really good at making movies that feel like they'll keep happening whether you are watching them or not. Nothing about this movie feels urgent. It's just 90 minutes of Robert Redford movie star charisma.

Rachel McAdams, Jesse Plemons, and Kyle Chandler have some of the best line reads of anyone this year. There are a bunch of great jokes in this and John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein are really developing as comedy directors. There's something about the story I could never get on board with though.

Unlike Black Panther, I'm not going to apologize for how often I've challenged people's assessment of this movie. Bohemian Rhapsody is a paint-by-numbers music biopic that plays it way too safe. There is nothing about the storytelling that isn't in every single music biopic you've ever seen. Rami Malek is really good in it though and it employs Queen's catalogue of music excellently. Luckily, that's what everyone remembers about the movie. Otherwise, this would be a kind of dreadful movie.

Alicia Vikander is a movie star. I had my doubts before this. I knew she could do dramas. She has an Oscar already. I knew she could be slick. Something like The Man from U.N.C.L.E. confirmed that. I didn't know she had "action movie star" in her. I kind of figured she was too small for that. I was wrong. She put in the work for this and came out looking great even though the rest of the movie was decidedly average.

This movie was a bit of an enigma to me when I first saw it in theaters and it still is months later. We're at the point in my list where I'm looking at the movies that I haven't given a second thought to since I finished my Reaction for them, and that lack of motivation to reconsider it is why it's fallen so far. Alex Garland is still a filmmaker who I'm excited to see what he'll do next. For now, I'd rather just rewatch Ex Machina.

Good luck getting me to speak ill of a movie staring Domhnall Gleeson and Rose Byrne with voice performances by Margot Robbie and Daisy Ridley. That kind of casting is unfairly targeted to me. (The movie is only OK though)

Sure, Goodbye Christopher Robin took some of the fun out of this movie. This movie is certainly the version of things I want to be true. It's a sweet, good-natured, simple movie.

The Transformers movies have set a low bar lately, so it doesn't take much to be the best one in several years. I appreciate the decreased scale of the movie, and Hailee Steinfeld is good in everything.

I'm just not on the same wave length as Wes Anderson. Even at his best, I respond to his movies with polite amusement rather than laughter. Then again, this one was all about dogs. I like dogs. And they're voiced by people I like. Well played, Wes.

I love the game of the movie and a lot of the performances. It just really doesn't add up to that much. I hope this doesn't get in the way of Drew Goddard's next job. I'll be sad if we have to wait another seven years for him to direct a movie.

67. Halloween (2018)
Slasher movies aren't my favorite brand of horror, so there was always going to be a ceiling to my enjoyment of this. I liked it as much as I reasonably could. The logistics of the story didn't make sense too often for me to forgive.

68. Venom
Earlier in the year, Upgrade disappointed me so much that I ended up enjoying Venom more than I expected.

Rachel Weisz and Rachel McAdams give a pair of great, restrained performances. By the end, I just didn't think there was enough payoff for all the great setup.

This was a bad movie inside a cinematic world that I enjoy being in. I'll probably always overrate a Wizarding World movie, just because I like being in the Wizarding World. The major problem is that this plays too much like a novel and not enough like a movie.

This is a great wind-up premise in an enclosed space. It builds a world I'd like to see again. It was great to see Jodie Foster in such a different kind of role. The tone and plotting were just a little too hectic.

I wish I cared about the story as much as Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie's performances. It sure looked great though.

The story was too slanted to Steve Carell's end of things to appreciate what the movie was trying to do. It's been surprising to see Timothee Chalamet's Oscar hopes disappear for this, because he gives a very big performance.

74. Aquaman
Having the silliest of silly superhero premises always made this an uphill battle. Director James Wan mostly makes it work by amping everything up as much as possible. It lags way behind the other options in a tremendous year for superhero movies.

I came away more convinced of Claire Foy's star credentials, but there's something safe about this movie that directly conflicts with the premise.

I really do love the potential of webcam storytelling and it's nice to see it being used for non-horror purposes. This is a pretty generic teen drama that feels fresh because of how the story it told. There are a lot of logistical problems and annoying misdirects that sink the movie, but, for what it's worth, it's probably the most interesting movie in this range on my list for.

It's a patient movie with Ethan Hawke giving a tremendous, worn-down lead performance. A lot of people much smarter than me rave about the movie. I didn't really care for it. Some people love the ending. I thought it didn't make much sense.

78. Apostle
This is a wild spin on The Wicker Man and a fine example of Gothic horror. It didn't stick much with me afterwards, so I can't put it much higher than this.

I don't need another Grinch movie and I'm not a big fan of Illumination Entertainment (Death to the Minions!). This was fine though. A perfectly harmless take on the classic story.

Apparently, this was a big hit with the kids. This and Set It Up led to many stories about how Netflix resurrected the RomCom. Lana Condor is a really appealing lead. There's a familiar tone to the movie that threw me off in a good way. However, at its best, this is an alternative to high school movies that I love a lot more.

I can see how this won the audience award at Sundance. It''s practically reverse-engineered for that festival. Chloe Grace Moretz gives a restrained performance and lets everyone else drive things. I couldn't get on board with how it mixed the absurdity of the situation with the danger of it. Something like Boy Erased did that much better.

All I really remember about this movie anymore is that it had bigger robots fighting bigger monster and it was about 80% as good as the Guillermo del Toro movie.

It has enough big adventure fun that I did enjoy watching it, but there were too many story and world building elements that made no sense for me to embrace it.

Still the most baffled I've been by a movie ending all year. I keep waiting for someone else to champion this movie and explain what I missed, because I feel like I missed something. Maybe I didn't miss something and the mystery really is as disappointing as I suspected. The fact that the studio buried this release (despite the director's last movie earning a Best Picture nomination) kind of confirms that my read of it is pretty common.

This is a really dumb supernatural RomCom. But, I love RomComs like Alex & Emma that let a bunch of different storylines play out. I recognize that there's something fundamentally sleazy about the premise, but I'd also probably watch this again if someone else suggested it.

The biggest problem with this documentary is that I repeatedly found myself more interested in the side stories (Andre's relationship with his daughter, the evolution of regional professional wrestling into national federations) than the main story.

The title is awful. Otherwise, this is a perfectly charming - albeit a little dull - period romance movie and Lily James is lovely in the lead role.

88. RBG
This felt more like a product of Ruth Bader Ginsberg's Public Relations team than a genuinely interesting documentary that came from a place of curiosity. It's nice to know a little more about RBG, but I would've preferred something that was a little more focused.

This is a fine Christmas fantasy that was crushed by the weight of its production budget. There was too much storytelling, not enough time, and too many ideas that were done better in other similar movies.

90. Mid90s
What can I say? Minding the Gap was better, and the ending of this movie is such nonsense that it soured me on everything that came before it.

91. Vox Lux
I guess a documentary on Britney Spears wasn't violent enough, so Brady Corbet made this instead.

I just watched this a couple weeks ago and I already can't remember much about it. It's a well-made albeit overly familiar historical drama.

93. Tully
As soon as I realized what the movie was doing, I lost most interest in it. I do give Charlize Theron credit for giving such a deglamorized performance.

This is a style of social commentary that I really don't care far. I appreciate the inventiveness, even though it isn't as visionary as it thinks it is. (Didn't Idiocracy caution us about a massively popular TV show about someone getting beat up for no reason a dozen years ago?)

This is a very small, somewhat sweet movie. Dakota Fanning gives a committed performance. I like the connections to Star Trek. And there's a cute little dog who is the star of the movie by the end. There just wasn't much to the movie.

Please. Can someone explain what was going on with the accents in this movie?

I don't think I wrestled with why I couldn't like a movie this year more than A Wrinkle in Time. I just plain didn't. I still think it comes down to if you haven't read the book, it doesn't make much sense. I wish there was a way to give the movie another chance without actually having to watch it again.

I sound like a creep complaining about this movie, but here it is. What's the point of making a movie about a spy who is trained to use sex as a weapon and then not having her use sex as a weapon? Even more than The Girl in the Spider's Web, this felt way too safe.

I don't like movies that are designed to make me deeply uncomfortable unless the payoff is worth it. The payoff of this wasn't worth all the squirming, even though Carey Mulligan was very good.

I'm always happy to support Saoirse Ronan whenever I can. This movie spends a lot of time asking some really interesting questions then either never answers them or answers them in deeply unsatisfying ways.

I'll be honest, I just don't care about this franchise by now. I mainly showed up for completionism. If I had any investment in the story, I'd probably put this a little higher, because there really wasn't anything wrong with this. I just didn't care.

102. Unsane
Claire Foy is very good, except for her accent. I like the experimental way Steven Soderbergh shot the film. After a killer premise, the movie plays out in the least interesting way possible.

103. Beirut
Wait...what evened happened in this movie? I remember watching it. I have the ticket stub...Even after reading my Reaction to this, I don't recall much. If any movie in 2018 merely existed and nothing else, it's Beirut.

104. Dude
This would've made a splendid hang-out comedy. Lucy Hale, Kathryn Prescott, Alexandra Shipp, and Awkwafina are a foursome I'd love to watch going on misadventures for a couple hours. Dude tries to mix stoner, hang-out comedy with melodrama and the two don't mix at all.

105. Rampage (2018)
I think the Rock punched a giant winged crocodile in the face. I remember the movie embraced how campy it was. I'm sure if I remembered much of the movie at all, I'd rate it higher for embracing the silliness and delivering exactly what it promised. Since I don't remember it that well, I remember all the campy moments as bad moments, and that's how it ended up here.

106. The Meg
If I'm picking between a campy giant monster movie with The Rock and a giant campy monster movie with Jason Statham, the one with The Rock wins.

I so thoroughly rejected the world that this movie built and the rules of that world, that not even Michael B. Jordan and Michael Shannon could save it.

108. Vice
No movie in 2018 pissed me off more. And to clarify, I'm pissed off at the movie. I'm only keeping it out of my bottom 10 misses the point. It's not a bad movie. It's an insulting one.

I'm keeping this out of my bottom 10 only because, at the end of the day, all it wanted to do was delivery dinosaur mayhem and it did that. This movie really was a mess all-around. It's about as sloppy a blockbuster as I've even seen.

Bottom 10
Here it is. The 10 movies I most regret seeing. Before I start mercilessly dismissing these movies as giant wastes of my time, I would like to give this disclaimer. The fact that any movie gets made is nothing short of a miracle. It is so hard to get dozens or hundreds of people all on the same page to make something. Even though I thoroughly disliked these movies, I do respect the people who make them. I'm a fan, first and foremost. I love trying to figure out what does and doesn't work for me in a movie and why. I try to be thoughtful in my Reactions to the movies and not lazily or snarkily dismiss them in those pieces. However, right now, I've been typing this list for several hours and I don't have the energy to be thoughtful. My official stance, really is just that I recommend all the movies listed above over all the movies listed below.

Zemeckis and company simply don't know how to turn this inventive true story into something that functions as an interesting movie. There are a lot of cool visuals in service of nothing and the scattered ideas of a story that don't amount to a cohesive whole.

111. Flower
I love this indie movie cast. Zoey Deutch really excels in this kind of role (emotionally young but with the poise of someone much older). This just tries too hard to be edgy and where the story ends up makes no sense.

112. Gringo
On paper, this is a movie I should've found really funny. Instead, I was bored by it and struggled to pay attention to it.

113. Ibiza
I just wasn't on the same page as this movie. I should never be this mentally checked out when Gillian Jacobs is on screen. Something went wrong.

114. Upgrade
Someone forgot to remind the people working on this movie how fun it's supposed to be. It underwhelmed me all around.

These movies are pretty bad. I don't think that's a hot take.

116. Mile 22
That's a lot of deeply unlikable characters for only one movie. I disliked nearly every minute of this despite my love of Peter Berg as a director.

The Melissa McCarthy/Ben Falcone partnership has yielded three movies so far and I've hated them all.

118. Life Itself (2018)
This is the most pretentious movie I saw this year. The screenplay is an absolute mess but it's under the impression that it's actually brilliant. I know this, because a character delivers a speech about how clever the theme of the movie is. There are probably more incompetently made movies above this on my list, but none of those made me as angry as watching this did.

119. The Mule
I don't think this movie does anything right. I'm genuinely stunned that the Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic ratings aren't in the single digits. For many movies I worry that there's something I'm missing about them that other people are seeing. Not for this one. I'm confident that this is bad and anyone who disagrees is wrong or, at the very least, confusing their indifference with decent filmmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment