Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Brooklyn Nine Nine Offseason

Even with cable making original programming a year-round affair, the Summer is still a quiet time for my TV viewing. I've got a lot of extra time in my schedule and thought it would be a good time to start a little project.
I do my weekly DVR Purges, but let's be frank: they are crap. I don't proofread them at all most weeks. They're collections of scattered thoughts that barely even make sense a week later. What I've decided to do is, with most of these shows I watch taking a break, reflect on where I stand with them, assessing what is in the show's favor (assets) and what could get it in trouble (liabilities).
Now, not every show I watch will be included. In general, I'm sticking to shows that I've kept notes (be them from Purges or otherwise) as I've watched. That means, shows like The Bridge, Looking, Sherlock, and Dexter will not be included. To get my thoughts on those, ask me. This project, supposing I stay on schedule should take all month and I hope it does a good job summing up where these shows stand. In some cases, I'm hoping to convince you to start watching. Other times, it'll be nothing more than a postmortem for a show that's gone.
I hope you enjoy.


Favorite Episode(s): "Full Boyle" and "The Bet"

Assets:
Season-long improvement: They did it again. First, Greg Daniels, with Mike Schur on staff, turned The Office into an Emmy winning series after a very shaky mid-season start. Next, with Schur at the helm, they brought Parks & Recreation from poor Office clone to the best comedy on TV by season two. Now, the same thing is happening with Brooklyn Nine Nine. It got better almost weekly in the Fall episodes and when it came back for the Spring it really hit its stride. The run from "Pontiac Bandit" to the finale was as good a run of episodes as any comedy had this season.

Andre Braugher: I'll get to the others in a minute but Andre-freaking-Braugher needs special commendation for making Captain Holt the show's Ron Swanson. At the beginning of the season, I worried about the viability of this character. Deadpan is tough to do all the time as a central character but he's played it brilliantly, somehow showing so many shades to Holt while maintaining the persona. Give the writers credit too for never relying too heavily on him to get an easy laugh.

The Rest of the Cast: This is a stellar ensemble. I described them after the pilot as a
"number of actors...that I've seen before but never enough of" and I don't think I have to worry about that anymore. Terry Crews may finally end up being known outside of Adam Sandler movies. Joe Lo Truglio now has a vehicle for his unique comedic voice. Chelsea Peretti doesn't have to be a sarcastic journeyman of prime-time comedy anymore. Even Andy Samberg gets to be a leading man in a way that fits him. Then there's Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz who were both new to me going into the show. Beatriz's Diaz is one of the highlights of the show and Fumero's Santiago escaped being the shrill counter to Peralta, instead having her own ticks that make her invaluable to the precinct. Unlike Parks & Rec. where I can honestly see half the cast headlining shows and movies in the future, Brooklyn Nine Nine is made up of a lot of utility players who, like the cast of 30 Rock, I can't imagine them ever being better used than they are here.

Liabilities:
All the 'shipping: So far, the show has maintained two slow-burn romances (Peralta/Santiago and Diaz/Boyle) without 1) relying on them for plot or 2) making me hate the inevitability. Based on Shcur's past work, I have to believe he won't let it get out of hand, but this is certainly on my radar as something be wary of in season two.

Gina: There's not much middle ground with Gina. People love her or hate her. I think she's stayed a small enough character to not wear on me (much like early Donna in Parks & Rec.). I can see where people could be annoyed though. She's a benign sociopath who can easily kill the rhythm of the rest of the ensemble and that's dangerous to have. Again, I don't see her as a problem yet, but she's the closest thing I can find to a weak character.

Hitchcock and Scully?: This probably annoys me more than it does anyone else. Do we need both of these characters? By the end of the season, they were written as a unit mostly and to great effect. I can see how this will have less effect over time though. Do we really need two Jerrys (another Parks & Rec. comparison, Sorry)? It's a decent sized cast as it is, so if they need to make some cuts to give someone else more time, I'm looking to one of them.


Outlook:
There's a lot more that is working for this show than isn't. In one season, it developed into one of the stronger comedies on TV. With the old guard on its way out (30 Rock and The Office gone last season. Community cancelled this year. Parks & Rec. bowing out after this next season), it's time for shows like this to step up, which it looks ready to do in season two. The sky is the limit for the reigning Golden Globe winner for best comedy. If you aren't watching it already, I recommend you catch up and watch it this fall. You'll thank me later.

Previously this Offseason...
Community

No comments:

Post a Comment